mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I Got A Question

I know this has been beat to death but i gotta ask. Im looking at getting a Jamis Komodo from Jenson and im not sure about the size. Im 5'10 and have a 30 inch inseam,the 14 inch frame has a standover of aroun 29.13 inch it still seems that a 14 inch frame shouldnt have a standover that high or is it just me.Im gonna use it for mostly urban and greenway riding and some light off road and jumping. My local bike shops dont have one in stock for me to check out. Thanks for your help guys.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    5'10" and a 14" frame? That seems pretty small, even for DJ.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You have to remember that that bike comes with a 150mm travel fork, and that brings up the front end quite a bit and therefore brings up the standover (which should be measured at about the mid point along the top tube). If you run the fork lower, you should have more standover.

A 14" frame actually would be appropriate for DJ (though a 150mm fork is not), but if you want to ride trails or for general riding around, you may want to consider the 16.5 (I'm just looking at the specs, I'm not actually familiar with that bike). I don't think standover would be an issue on either of those sizes.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

too small

I'm about the same size as you...I'm 5'11, with a 31 inch seam. A 14 inch bike is waaaaaay too small for you. Granted, this bike is built tough for urban and/or dirt jumping, but with the proper build, this can build a trail bike as well. I bought the 18.5 inch and it fits me perfectly. Don't buy it...too small.