mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well I broke my chainstay

Before I bought this bike('03 Dakar XLT2), I read a lot of reviews that said the chainstay weld was weak and prone to failing. I bought one in '05 and hoped for the best, well I am now a victim of the weak weld. I hear that Jamis does pretty good on warrenty claims however, I am not the original owner of the bike. Does anyone know if Jamis will honor the warrenty? My plan is to try to get it warrentied and then, if that doesn't work, take it to a local shop to get the frame welded. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

mtbr member
    I would say go into the Jamis dealer and tell them your frame broke. I wouldn't mention anything about not being original owner unless directly asked for ownership documentation.

They may just go ahead and warranty it since it's a widely known issue with these frames. If they won't at least see if they have a "crash replacement" policy which may allow for reduced price for non-warranty replacement parts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good news for me!! Contacted my LBS about my broken chainstay. I felt dishonest about tring to make them think that I am the original owner so I just told them. They told me they would send it in anyway to try and get it warrantied. They told me it would be a 3 week or so turn around time, so in a month I will be back on my ride!! I just hope that Jamis will go along, (the LBS was confident though)