Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zenkem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    496

    How much fork travel on parker I

    Looking to upgrade my sons fork and need to know how much travel we can go with. Rides mostly XC/All Mountain single track and fire roads...

    THX!!!

  2. #2
    slap happy
    Reputation: istandalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    418
    the domain 302's are 115-160mm forks, so up to 160mm.
    i know on my domain i'm getting nowhere near the full 160mm of travel, more like 110 at best.
    i've double checked oil levels, put in a softer spring etc and nothing i do allows me full travel.
    but after putting my softer uturn spring in, i found my fork is missing the negative spring assembly so i guess i got a lemon of a fork...and RS/sram won't answer my messages.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

  3. #3
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone
    the domain 302's are 115-160mm forks, so up to 160mm.
    i know on my domain i'm getting nowhere near the full 160mm of travel, more like 110 at best.
    i've double checked oil levels, put in a softer spring etc and nothing i do allows me full travel.
    but after putting my softer uturn spring in, i found my fork is missing the negative spring assembly so i guess i got a lemon of a fork...and RS/sram won't answer my messages.

    Negative springs wont have an effect on getting full travel. They are for keeping the fork from harsh top outs. You are having a different issue with getting full travel.

  4. #4
    slap happy
    Reputation: istandalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    418
    figures that wasn't "it". nobody @ jenson or sram believes they sent a fork out w/o a negative spring.
    of course, they want me to send it in. F that. i'll be out a bike for a good portion of the season if i do that. probably end up buying a used lyric or some such.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

  5. #5
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by istandalone
    figures that wasn't "it". nobody @ jenson or sram believes they sent a fork out w/o a negative spring.
    of course, they want me to send it in. F that. i'll be out a bike for a good portion of the season if i do that. probably end up buying a used lyric or some such.
    I forget where I saw it, but a site had lyriks for like 350

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zenkem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    496
    THX for the input, I was thinking 130mm so I'm in the ball park...just haven't decided on which fork to go with yet...

  7. #7
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,933
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    I forget where I saw it, but a site had lyriks for like 350
    bike wagon. but it has a 1.5 steerer so you will also need a new headset to make it work in a 44mm headtube.

    anyways, to the op's question, i have found ~130mm to be the sweet spot for general trail riding.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    473
    Yes, if you are not going to run a travel adjust fork, 130mm IMO is the sweet spot. I have a pike and i set it at 120mm for climbs and 140mm for descents. I havent tried one, but i think 160mm may be overkill? Idk though...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slyp Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    450
    maybe I'm the weird one, but I've been loving my Parker 1 with a 100mm travel 20mmTA MRD TPC Minute, geo feels awesome for a short travel play/trail bike
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    423
    I have been running mine at 160 alot lately.I have a domain 302 aswell, but added the MoCo to it, so its essentially a 318 now. Before that fork I had the uturn recon, which was a very smooth fork. If it had the 20mm axle I would have kept it.

    A RS sector Uturn would be awesome on this though for an all around fork. (the 110-150, 20mm axle version) they are cheap too, around 400.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •