i like rocks

how much abuse can a dakar xlt 3.0 take?

i'm currently riding a jamis komodo and loving it. it gets used for urban commuting daily with the occasional stair gap or other urban foolishness, when the weekends come around i swap out the holly rollers for knobbies and ride it on everything from mild northshore, trails, dirtjumps and well, kind of everything.... i'd call it light freeride, or maybe burly all mountain, but really its my 'ride whatever the heck i want too ride' bike. i might even go out for some lift serviced stuff up at boine mountain in michigan this summer.

well anyways, i want to upgrade to a fully. i've looked carefully at the transition preston, or maybe a kona coiler, or perhaps an enduro. but something has me kind of wanting a dakar 3.0. i guess i have a soft spot for jamis, its a very nice looking frameset, everybody seams to love them, and well, its a bargain right now!!!

geo, sizing, looks and price all look great too me, but how much abuse can one of these rigs handle? is endevouring to do some mild ladder drops, some stair gaps and the local dirt jumps just asking for trouble or is this thing pretty burly?

Former Bike Wrench

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Look at the Diablo if going big

The XLT line is pretty solid, but is not in the same league (as far as durability) of a Transition Preston FR or Kona Coiler. I would put it as equal to a Specialized Enduro (but not the SX line, which is tougher). Yes it can take some "light" freeriding, but the parts spec is really not designed for anything heavy duty.

Since you have a soft spot for Jamis, you should look at their Diablo line if your going to go big....but honestly, I'd probably lean towards the Coiler or Preston FR as they are heavier duty than the XLT...but not quite the big bike that the Diablo (which is closer to a Stinky).

i like rocks
    i should have mentioned, we are only talking the frameset here. the partspec will all be topnotch stuff of my own choosing. z1 fork, saint brakes, outlaw wheels, sram drivetrain, thomson blablablabla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    i should have mentioned, we are only talking the frameset here. the partspec will all be topnotch stuff of my own choosing. z1 fork, saint brakes, outlaw wheels, sram drivetrain, thomson blablablabla

It's still not a free ride worthy frame. Unfortunately that's a bike Jamis doesn't seem to offer. The Diablo is more DH than FR imo.
    My one says BRAP!

i like rocks
    thanks for the info guys. the quest for the ultimate flatland freeride machine is still underway. fact of the matter is, we have plenty of good freeride opportunities around here, but your going to be spending a heck of allot of time pedaling the thing!

mtbr member

I have been mocked...

by the lifties at Whistler and complimented by DHers at Keystone for how I was riding a "little" bike. I can't shell out the cash for a bike that can't be taken up whatever I am going to go down, but on occassion my XLT has ridden the lift up. I am not a great jumper and I rode it down A-line several times and it was all grins to me. It is all mountain, and although I was sneered at by some Whistler employees I know they could never ride their manly bikes up the mountain, not to mention the rides I do around my hometown.