Australia = phun
    Sep 2010

Guess what... Crack in Parker.

So... I was reading this thread. Broken Jamis Parker two and getting all quirky. Finally I couldn't stand it, and I went to check on my bike. Nothing.
    I turned it upside down and gave it a close inspection...

I'm disappointed. I'm not even 110 pounds, and I don't ride hard (2-3 ft drop max). I don't put lateral stress on my bike, nor do I ride backwards and then brake hard.

What do you reckon? Do you think I should get a new triangle, or just use that bike for XC?
    Or just ride it till the metal fails, gives way, and I can purchase a new triangle?

Anyway (sorry for all these questions) where would I be able to purchase a new triangle? Am I eligible for warranty (2nd user, all the way in Australia)?

And is it a crack, or at least just a superficial weld fail?

Dangnamit...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Did you get it used or can you have Jamis warranty?
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The newer version of the Parker is definitely beefed up compared to the Gen1. I'm a shade over 200lbs and done some mean things to mine. It's still kickin' just fine.

What?
    You made me look at mine( that I just built up for my wife). Mine is cracked on the drive side as well. I hope my XAM hold up better the this.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Whoops, sorry :\

At least its not your bike

Anyway, would you recommend me not to ride the bike, and is it a crack anyway?
    And I did buy it 2nd hand, but I can probably get him to fix it (hopefully).

What?
    I wouldnt ride it. It may hold up fine, but if it doesnt, it will most likely cause a pretty nasty wreck. Not worth the risk IMO. I have contacted Jenson and will hopefully have mine replaced in a weeks. Im still waiting to hear if they will cover it or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    When I broke a rear tri...it knocked my rear wheel outta true and dinged up my RD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What year is yours? I ride mine hard and no issues yet, although I should check it hard for cracks.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    I think that the parker had a really dodgy rear triangle - they could at least had a brace to strengthen it.
    I've got a 2008 III. 1st year issues - I'm p*ssed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I agree that the Gen1 Parker has dodgy rear tri. I think they fixed it on Gen-2.

What?
    mines a 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone had luck with replacement on bikes bought second hand? I bought mine brand new but technically used for almost nothing but have concerns about warrenty stuff. The bike is registered to me but I dont have a recipt for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    do you think you could clean up that spot a bit and post up another photo. I am having a hard time seeing if its a crack or dirt in a crevasse. (im not doubting its cracked though, everyone cracks them)

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    I'll try.
    Just a thought, since I'm a light rider, do you think that there are any glues (like the ones that Ritchey used to glue their frames together) to create a fix? I mean like super strong pro-industrial strength sorts. Just wondering.

But what the most infuriating thing is that Jamis doesn't reply to my emails I sent.
    :edit:
    Jamis replied.
    Last edited by icalebkim; 12-08-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Mullen 119 - "I have a 09 Parker 2 what gave me a chainstay crack scare. once I found out that it was getting replaced, I sanded the paint off the area where the I thought the crack was and found out it wasnt a crack, but just an imperfection in the weld that caused a crack in the paint. Knowing this gives me more confidence in Jamis as long as it did come from 08'".

I hope my enamel's just cracked as well. (crosses fingers)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    honestly, it looks like an imperfection in the paint with alittle dirt making it more obvious. get a toothbrush and clean out the spot well to be certain.

What?
    I got my new chainstay today. Props to Jenson for getting it out to me so fast. Im a little disappointed that is black though.