The Green Machine
    Dec 2007

Getting a good deal on a Jamis?

I've been away from riding for 10+ years. I've looked around on the internet and so far I've gotten down to two bikes I wanna get that I THINK are comparable. Both 2007 frames, First choise is the Jamis XAM (2.0 prefered). That bike and that colorway just moves something inside .Second is the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp. It seems that the Jamis is heavier but better equipped.

What I need help with is how to get a good deal. None of my LBS have any in stock (checked w/in 50 miles) so I can't test ride it...or even look at it for that matter. 2ndly, the Specialized brand is everywhere and big chain stores like Mikes Bikes (big store around here anyway) have good deals, marked down to $1700, maybe could even find it lower? Also these stores have cool 90 day no pay/finance options etc. etc. Not neccessarily am going to use it, but its nice to have. Also free maintanence etc.

Obviously, I haven't bought a bike for a while. What can I do to get the best deals and is there any hope of getting the 07 Jamis at a marked down price? I would hope to spend as close to $1,500 as possible. Is it even possible or should I just go get the SJ?

I know you guys just love these newbie threads so thanks in advance for any advise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the specialized is more of a cross country race type of bike. the jamis is an all mountain bike with more suspension travel. it really depends on what type of terrain/trails you will be riding. those 2 bikes are not really comparable. try looking at a jamis dakar xcr series if you want somtime more cross country type riding from jamis.

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    Back in the day when I rode I really liked single track, technical stuff, and of course going down hill (nothing extreme). I figured the Specialized FSR XC was their cross country bike. I just want a bike that can do it all and that won't leave me wanting more (as in upgrading in a years time).

No thoughts on finding a Jamis at clearance prices?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    jensonusa has some jamis closeouts. mostly 06 or 05 years. the jamis xam sounds like it would fit the bill. the 5 inch travel for the 07 xam sounds good. the adjustable travel fork is nice to for the single track, then extend the fork for more narly stuff. might want to find a rear shock with a pedaling platform or lockout for pedaling efficiency but that is up to you

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    Really...I thought it did have lock out. I just looked at the reviews for the shock on the reviews page and it seems to have problems. On the other hand none of the XAM 2 reviews mentioned any problems. Argggh. A difficult choice gets more difficult.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sorry im not sure if the 07 jamis xam2 has a lockout or pedaling platform. i just threw that out there as a consideration before you buy. call jamis and see what they say. you could always ramp up the compression knob.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The DHX5 on the XAM2 has adjustable propedal with no lockout. The problems with the DHX5 sticking down were limited to the earlier models, not so much an issue with the 07 ones.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Both the XAM 1.0 and 2.0 have a fox DHX air. They don't have anything close to "lockout". If you want that, your only options are a Fox Rp2 (OEM only), Fox Rp23 (OEM and aftermarket), Fox Rp3 (2005-2006) or a RS bar 2.2/2.R. Neither of the shocks on the bikes you mentioned are real great for a no bob ride.

I have the Rp23 on my '05 XLT and it has been the absolute best investment I have made for my bike (it was $380 new).

As far as the FSR v. XAM debate, I would go with the XAM. My dad rides a Stumpy FSR Expert with the brain and quite honestly I am not impressed. As far as pedaling efficiency goes, it is absolutely pathetic (mostly because of the brain). I would get the XAM all day long over the Stumpy. One other thing about the Stumpy is that you won't be able to find an aftermarket shock with lockout (like any of the ones I mentioned above) because they have a wierd size. Some people have used Rp23's from the C'dale Rush frame, but the stroke isn't exactly the same.

Deals on an XAM...you aren't going to find anything smokin' at a shop or online right now. I have seen several XAMs on Ebay (brand new) and they have been right around $1500 (some even a little bit under). If price is your main concern, I would get it on Ebay, just make sure you buy from someone with good feedback.

So in summary, were I you, I would get the XAM ride it with the DHX for a while and see if you like it. If not, buy an RP23 aftermarket and sell the DHX on ebay (they usually fetch a pretty penny on ebay) and you will likely love it.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to help you out. Let me know what you like to ride, your weight, and any other relevant details and I can give you a better idea.