mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Frustration with Jamis dealers

I am stuck in the Chicagoland and looking at the Dakar line, but I have yet to find a local shop that actually carries the bikes for me to try out. One place told me they would take 10% off if I ordered it from them. But I am screwed if it doesn't work out. Another place told me I have 30 days to try it out, and can return if it doesn't work with full refund. I guess I would rather have a test-ride before dropping $1,500 +\-. Did you test ride it or go off of what people said? What was it about Jamis that convinced you to go with them? Just trying to get a feel for the company.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

ride style

Hey Canuck, what is your kink? Are you a climber, decender? I have been a Jamis rider for over 7 years, maybe I can assist you. Tell me more about what you like or want the bike to do for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    dfaith, I would say that I am more of a cross country rider. I haven't riden in a while, due to school, jobs, relocating, etc. But it was always something that I truely enjoyed. Hence why I am trying to get back into it. I used to go find old trails that I could ride through aggresively. My bike had no suspension. But I still ran it hard, to the point I have actually put a bend in the handle bars. They used to be straight, now they sag a bit. I am thinking I want to get a FS, to help take some of those jarring hits. I am sure my body can take it, but I am sure I will feel it more the next day. Being around the Chicagoland area, I know its pretty flat and a lot of shops are pushing the hardtails on me. I would rather travel a bit and find another old trail and ride it. Which again goes back to the FS. I think a FS will make the ride a little more enjoyable and possibly longer by not having to take such a beating.

So with that in mind, as I stated in my first post, I am looking at the Dakar line. Initially I am drawn to the XLT. I think it has a decent component line-up, and the reviews don't seem to be too bad on it. I have no problem going with a model that might be a year or two old. I don't think the componentry would be that different. Maybe I am wrong. Plus you can get a better deal on the older bikes, and you still have some money left in your pocket if you want to upgrade say some tires. The other bike was the XCR. Problem is I don't know which one, or the differences componentry wise. The shops that I called seemed to not know anything more than what I know from reading the catalog. Which is frustrating if they are to be a Jamis dealer. Kind of like being a BMW dealer and not really knowing much about BMW other than what you read in the brochure.

I might actually take a ride up to Milwaukee, as there is a dealer there, that when I spoke to the guy, seemed to know a lot more about Jamis. His personal bike was a Dakar, though I don't know which one, and he said I could look at it. He didn't have any on the floor or assembled at the time.

I am curious as to your thoughts. Am I heading in the right direction with the FS? Is the XLT too much bike for me? I guess I always look at something that will allow me to grow into it if need be. So if its a little more than what I need right now, I atleast have that room there without having to add anything or switch it out. If I outgrow it later, then I can start switching things out. Alright I am done, I feel like I am rambling now, but I do look forward to your feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Too Many Choices

Today we have too many choices for slight differences in riding style. After 2 years riding a one size too big hard tail, I purchased a new 2000 Dakar Expert. I rode her hard cross country for 7 years. I replaced her 5 months ago with the XAM 2.0. The reason, I like one bike that can do everything well. The Expert in it's day was light enough to climb, yet stong enough to do small jumps, I even ran Whistler once. The XLT was the next upgrade, which I looked at last year. I didn't move on it as I felt Jamis was due to make a big change for 07. The XAM chassis is amasing. I run with Cannondales 4 lbs lighter and climb the same agressive root and rocky steep terrain. At speed, you would swear it's alive. If I were you, buy the best one bike you can afford, you will have it for years, make sure it's not too big. The XAM 1.0 is a steal. A bike is one of the few things you can buy that really is so cheap considering how much enjoyment you get. My XAM is 5 months old and I have 500 trail miles on it already. Buy a bike and ride often, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You know the funny thing, I couldn't even tell you what size bike I need. I am 6'-0" and I don't know if it makes more sense to go with a 19" or a 17". And of all the bike shops that I have gone to, no one has asked or sized me up. I am assuming a 19" would fit fine, but the way things are these days, I have no idea. Is one size better than the other? I just want to find a competent bike shop, or have a rainy weekend so I can just read as much as I can on here, and buy a bike from a reputable online dealer.

I did travel a little bit and found a shop that had an employees XLT 2.0 that I was able to take for a spin. Loved it, found out that FS does take a little more to get up and go, but still something I could get used to. I don't know what weight the bike was set up to, but I am sure it wasn't set up for me. The only downfall was that this shop was too busy to really sit down with me and walk me through a few things. Is this because of the manufacturer that I am picking and therefore they figure I know what I want or need? Anyways, they said they would call me back, but I have yet to hear from them. I guess I will keep my eyes open and see what is out there.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Canuck, I feel bad for you...come to Asheville some time where we have a size run of XLT's and XCR's on the floor!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ahh the joys of being in a more hilly area. Would make a good little vacation I am sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Saved

Well Canuck, looks like someone has made you a very kind offer. sizes, knowledge, you can't go wrong, you won't get that on the net. I firmly believe in a real live person to make such an investment. Due to your height a 17 or 19 would work, all depends on torso vs leg length. Take the offer, ride both, you will feel which bike seems an extension of you. You should be able to move around the bike in difficult terrain without being cramped or feeling like the bike is bigger than you. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Now I just have to take a week vacation, drive down to North Carolina from Chicago and get myself a bike. Go for a few rides and come back. Hmmm... tempting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

dragons?

are there any dragon's on a showroom floor around Chattanooga?