mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Fracture in seat tube...

Hello All,

Yesterday while conducting the inspection to my bike prior to ride it I found a hair line fracture that runs 180degrees around the seat post tube right above the weld that sticks the seat tube and top tube together.

I have been riding this bike since May this year, it is a Jamis trail X3 2010 . I bought it from EBAY brand new (in box) for little under 300dlls. The bike was never registered with Jamis for warranty purposes by the seller so that is under my name, unfortunately, where I live there are no Jamis distributors and the closest are within 200 miles from here.

Before making the long trip I decided to shoot emails to both of them, telling them that it was a person to person sale, that all I had was the transfer receipt and warranty to my name. I explained the problem and asked for advise on what were my chances to make the warranty valid and how to proceed.

One was nice enough to answer emails 2 or 3 times to the point that nicely told me that it wasn't their sale that I have to follow up with the shop I bought it from (there is no shop), even I told the guy I would cover any expense to him for using his resources for this issue, I got no answer after that.

The second place I contacted didn't even reply to my email.

So I am guessing that I am screwed and I will need to look for a frame or have this repaired ???

Please your opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by luisfer99; 12-02-2011 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Your thread title says "seat post" when in actuality...your frame is cracked at the seat tube. Sounds like you ran your seat post a little too high and don't stand up enough over rough terrain...or biffed a drop and landed on the saddle.

Either way, your hosed.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    fixed, thanks and sorry!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The warranty only applies to the original owner who purchased from an authorized Jamis dealer. Even if the person from whom you purchased it "never registered it with Jamis for warranty purposes," you are not entitled to warranty protection. You should expect any Jamis dealer, or Jamis itself, to tell you to go pound sand. It's the risk you take when you don't by from an authorized dealer and don't pay the dealer's price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I agree, I just realized this when trying to get help from lbs around. it is an inexpensive bike that helped me try this hobby and get engaged to it.

I will look to buy a step up bike but was wondering if I could do something to get this fixed and not just set it aside.

I am very new to this sport and dont know for sure if this type of damage is fixable by welding it. or just have the frame swapped for another lower end frame. might any of you suggest a hardtail frame 26" for cheap?

thanks again.

mtbr member
    There are a few lowend frames I have used to build bikes for friends. Check out the Reken and pricepoint . com, Bluesky cycling has the Leader 510 and 516. Also, although I have not used the nashbar . com frame, several say those are good too.

My Son is riding a Reken now, great frame and onsale at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    There are a few lowend frames I have used to build bikes for friends. Check out the Reken and pricepoint . com, Bluesky cycling has the Leader 510 and 516. Also, although I have not used the nashbar . com frame, several say those are good too.

My Son is riding a Reken now, great frame and onsale at the moment.
    Thanks, I will look at them and see what they offer.