Jii
    mtbr member

Ex-high-end bike rider on a 2006 Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0

Hey everyone!

Just pulled the trigger yesterday on a 2006 Dakar XLT 1.0. My Previous two bikes were high-end Ellsworths, a 2005 7" Joker and a 2006 6" Moment. I loved my Joker and did a lot of freeriding on it, but started to be more into AM stuff so I switched to a Moment. Sold the Moment last fall partly because of economical reasons and partly because it was'nt quite the bike I needed, and upgrading the components to what I'd wanted would have cost me a minimum of 1k$. Got a fair price because the frame was as new, and decided I'd buy a new, cheaper bike if and when a good deal would show up. A bike that I would spend more time riding and less time upgrading and pondering on bling-stuff. You know, the high-end-bike curse, the eternal pit of money-spending and the constant feeling that something could be improved.

And last week a killer deal came my way. I'll get the bike tomorrow, and I can't wait. I promised myself no more upgrading if there's no real need, so I'll only buy studded tires for now, and maybe a new stem if the original one is too long at 105 mm. Just hope that it would warm up a little, right now it's -19 degrees celsius .

So, as soon as I get some trailtime on it, I'll do some serious comparing. It will be really interesting, since the new bike costs only 1/5:th of what my previous bike cost. Sure, I know they can't be compared directly, but I'll try to be as impartial as possible.

I got the 21" frame. I'm 6' 2" and weigh 235 lbs with gear on. It was really hard to pick the size, because of the relative shortness of the top tube. The Ellsworths had 23-24" top tubes in size 17", so I'll have to get used to a totally different standover height. But since this bike is for trailriding only, I don't think it will be a problem.

Stay tuned!

I'm SUCH a square....

Doppleganger....

wow -- scary -- your physical stats sound awfully familiar....

i just put together an '05 xlt 1.0; the tt was 24" on 21" frame -- about 20mm shorter than what i'm used to, but riding has proven to be no prob. is yours tubeless? if not, go for it -- it'll be worth the effort. RC at MBAction says you roll a gear faster w/ same effort, that's a fair assessment.
    Last edited by bigpedaler; 03-11-2007 at 08:12 PM.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    what was the website?

Jii
    mtbr member
    Got the bike last thursday, but I've only been able to do some short test rides yet. Tonight I finally get to take the new ride offroad!

First impressions: the bike looks pretty well made, decent componentry for the price (got mine for a little less than 1200 $). The standover on the 21" is not much of an issue, I'd say it's pretty much spot on. With 6" of exposed seatpost it fits me really well. Have'nt gotten a chance to weigh mine yet, but with heavy studded tires on it's not a very flattering number . Keeping it stock until something breaks, even the stem length seemed to be perfect for me.

The bike feels very light and responsive, and it pedals really well uphill. Have'nt tuned the suspension yet, so no comments on bobbing and such yet.

Tonight I'll get some trailtime on it, and when I've sorted the suspension settings out, I'll start comparing the Jamis with my previous, much more expensive rides.

bigpedaler- No I don't run tubeless, but I might give it a shot in the summer. I'll probably go the Stan's NoTubes way, unless I need to upgrade my wheelset. I'll Upgrade it to a UST-compatible set in that case.

mtbr member

Fork?

[QUOTE=Jii]Got the bike last thursday, but I've only been able to do some short test rides yet. Tonight I finally get to take the new ride offroad!

Jii....What fork did your bike come with?

Jii
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brainstump
    Jii....What fork did your bike come with?
    It came with a Fox Float R.

The bike performed very well offroad, I need to get used to the riding position and fine tune the suspension settings before I can give an educated opinion on the performance. I did however discover that the bolts that attach the derailleur hanger to the frame are way too short! They keep coming loose (they do not thread in on the frame's threads more than a mm), and I was headed towards disaster but luckily I realised the problem in time. I replaced the bolts with 10 mm long ones, problem solved.

Otherwise I feel I have gotten good value for my money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    wow -- scary -- your physical stats sound awfully familiar....

i just put together an '05 xlt 1.0; the tt was 24" on 21" frame -- about 20mm shorter than what i'm used to, but riding has proven to be no prob. is yours tubeless? if not, go for it -- it'll be worth the effort. RC at MBAction says you roll a gear faster w/ same effort, that's a fair assessment.

the only thing that bugs me is a new website i foud last nite, after putting all the time/effort in on the xlt -- coulda had a nomad for the same price! awesome markdowns!
    can you please post the link to the nomad on sale, thanks