Thread: Dragon 29

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Dragon 29

What's the scoop:??? Anyone been on one? Ride characteristics? When will it be available?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey Mike,
    I am a little one sided but I think it rides great! Ha... Really the bike does ride very well, the 853 tubing makes for a great ride and the geo of the bike is solid.
    I don't have a lot of time on the new 29'er Dragon, maybe 20 to 30 miles, just a few rides. As I get more time on it will will send more info and some pics!

These bikes / frames should be ready in late Nov./ Dec.

Thanks
    sk!p
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Unless I hate the ride or we can't make it fit properly, this will be my next ride...
    Fear can be your greatest ally or your biggest nemesis.

Crash = Try

rage

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ralph... I think you will love the ride of the frame, its 853 and has all the ride attributes of our already great riding Dragon! Steel is real!

Stay tuned for more info and pic's!

sk!p
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Why are you going with this bike???

mtbr member
    Here are my thoughts and I'm very Ok with being corrected if I'm not on target:

1. Steel! I like the feeling better.
    2. I ride XC and Xterra so my courses (save a few) are not super technical.. I'm a masher and tend to crash when I hit stuff head on. The 29" wheels seem to roll over junk smoother. At least while I was out playing around on one.
    3. Steel! I still like it better.
    4. Much better components for the same $$$ if I spent the same amount on a full suspension.
    5. Ask anyone about Jamis and you will be told "they have great bikes!". I have never herd one negative comment from anyone. Maybe I just haven't asked the right person.
    6. The company's response to questions and problems. While I haven't had any problems that they would need to take of (my wife rides a Jamis Quest) their email responses are rapid, helpful, and to the point. I want to support a company that has time to talk to me no matter how goofy my questions or problems might be.
    7. Steel!!! Getting the idea?
    8. Cost. Can not beat the package for the $$$.
    9. With a steel frame, I can upgrade and not be concerned about the degradation of aluminum over time.
    Just my thinking on the issue and my wallet that will be taking a big hit soon.

The only issue I see right off is frame size. I rode a Dakota 29er and if fit like a glove! The Dragon is a 17" or 19". I'm sure that it can be tweeked to work but I really want something that feels like it fits. This I'm sure will be up to the guys I buy it from to do their job right. I'm sure they will.

Crash = Try

rage

mtbr member
    Stopped by the local dealer yesterday. We agreed on a price, damn even the wife agreed. Come on December...
    BTW what kind of color is hemp?!?

Crash = Try

rage

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The hemp color is a bit lighter than an olive green. Nice paint scheme. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on a 26" '07 Dakota Elite I'd be looking at the new Dragon 29".

The '08 Jamis catalog lists the weight at 28lbs. I would have thought it would be a bit lighter but maybe the weight is in the wheelset. Anyway let us all know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    any idea on how they feel/fit compared to the 26r's. i have a 2006 dragon team that i love and i wanna go 29 and if the dragon 29r's feel the same then i'm sold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is a dream bike but i would have to get a 15 inch frame and i am 5 10

Uncle

Bump -- how does it ride?

Very curious, and interested in perhaps getting hold of one of these frames -- sour on the Karate Monkey with gears.

WELL, does it rock?
    105mm
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have an 08 dragon. Rides nice you can't get a better deal for the money The only upgrade would be the hubs', bottom line shimono. Be careful about the fit I'm 5/10 and went with a 17 frame it fits but it"s close.Hope this helps

MTG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongway benton
    I have an 08 dragon. Rides nice you can't get a better deal for the money The only upgrade would be the hubs', bottom line shimono. Be careful about the fit I'm 5/10 and went with a 17 frame it fits but it"s close.Hope this helps
    Hi, got a question about the sizing thing. What's your inseam and is the 17 frame close to being too big or small? Thanks for any info. I'm looking at ordering one soon.

mike