Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?

I just ordered a 2012 Dakar AMT on Jenson, with the current 10% discount the price was too good to pass up. I don't see much info or talk about this bike, anyone else on here ride one?

Jamis Dakar AMT Mountain Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Nobody? Well at least I have something unique. I will post up the unboxing and ride reports when it shows up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm looking at the new 650B version of that

mtbr member
    I bought the same AMT a few weeks ago. Still building it and haven't ridden yet.

Good luck finding any ride reports on this bike. I couldn't find a single one. Seems like the mystery bike no one wants to talk about. weird!

I bought and installed the works angleset so mine sits at 67 degrees from the 68 stock.

mtbr member
    Did you buy a complete bike or just a frame? Let me know how you like the angleset. I plan to run it as is, except sell the Hayes brakes and buy some Shimano SLX or XT (just personal preference). Also going to swap my current crankset in that has a 22t small right instead of 24t and a bashguard instead of the big ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I bought the same AMT a few weeks ago. Still building it and haven't ridden yet.

Good luck finding any ride reports on this bike. I couldn't find a single one. Seems like the mystery bike no one wants to talk about. weird!

I bought and installed the works angleset so mine sits at 67 degrees from the 68 stock.

mtbr member
    Bought complete bike. Sold Shimano shifters, derailleurs and brakes and went with SRAM and hope. Works Angleset was tricky to install but I got the hang of it. I'm glad I did it since I've heard 68 on that bike is steep if plan to hammer the thing on the downhills which I would like to.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it will be a sweet bike! You should post some pictures!

mtbr member

Unboxing

It finally arrived. I decided to leave the brakes and drivetrain and everything as it came for now, may swap some things out in the future but for now its great. I haven't had a real ride yet but spent some time last night assembling and adjusting everything.

Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140106_184321.jpg
    Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140106_184407.jpg
    Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140106_184635.jpg
    My little man helping me get it put together.
    Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140106_185602.jpg
    Pardon the messy workbench
    Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140106_191039.jpg
    Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140106_191708.jpg
    Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140107_075425.jpg
    Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140107_075443.jpg
    Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?-img_20140107_075434.jpg

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing about fitment and ride report.

mtbr member
    I am planning to head out early tomorrow morning, so I should have a report tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing about fitment and ride report.

mtbr member
    I put in a test ride this morning and really loved the bike! The trail was mostly XC type riding with a few short steep climbs and some really rocky sections. My previous bikes were all hardtails except one old Specialized Epic so the suspension was incredibly plush compared to what I am used to. The geometry was great for what I want, a "do it all" (I know, no such thing but its close) type bike that pedals well, can still handle rocks and descending as well and is beefy enough to be solid under a 6'3" 230lb rider. The component spec on the bike was spot on, drivetrain was good, tires were pretty good, brakes were good, I even liked the seat and I thought it was going to be too small and need replaced. There is one thing on the bike that I hate... the grips. I have not found any lock on grips that I like and these are no exception, they all seem to be too fat and too hard because of the inner sleeve. But that is an easy fix and I am very happy with this bike.

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you went with an XL 21" frame? Did you feel the cockpit was short due to the short top tube length?

Try ESI form grips. Most comfortable grips out there you won't be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Yes, I bought the 21". I did not feel the cockpit was short, but the stem is longer than my old one. When I was putting it together I thought to myself that would be the first thing I changed but I doubt I will since it felt good as is.

I'm assuming you went with an XL 21" frame? Did you feel the cockpit was short due to the short top tube length?

Try ESI form grips. Most comfortable grips out there you won't be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Here's my 19" AMT. Notice the Works Components angleset which drops the HT angle to 67 degrees.

Have only ridden it around the parking lot. The super wide Answer 780mm bars and short 70mm stem gives it a very stable controlled feel.

Last edited by Dictatorsaurus; 01-14-2014 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks very nice! I may have to consider getting one of those Angleset sometime in the future. I got another ride in on mine yesterday, had the chance to hit some really rocky parts and it was super smooth! I think I need just a little more air in my rear shock but other than that still happy with mine.

mtbr member
    Slacker angle helps in super steep sections and makes better use of the long front travel.

What pressure do you run front and rear suspension?

mtbr member
    I was at 95psi front and 250 rear on my last ride. Bumped the rear up to 260 for my next ride.

Slacker angle helps in super steep sections and makes better use of the long front travel.

What pressure do you run front and rear suspension?

mtbr member
    Have you had a chance to take your bike for a real ride yet?

Here's my 19" AMT. Notice the Works Components angleset which drops the HT angle to 67 degrees.

Have only ridden it around the parking lot. The super wide Answer 780mm bars and short 70mm stem gives it a very stable controlled feel.

mtbr member
    The weather has been pretty cold and lots of snow so haven't ridden it yet. I'm hoping to ride it when the snow clears.

With the reverb post the bike weighes 32lb.

I got the bike for a different purpose than you got it for. I have lighter faster xc bikes so I set up mine as aggressive bike to hit jumps and learn some tricks/skills.

The short 23" top tube might actually work out well for that purpose as it puts me in an upright position.

mtbr member
    I bought my 15" model from Jenson two months ago, and love it for just tooling around on trails. Because I'm just 5'5" I wanted a 26er and nicer ones are getting harder to find these days.

I am not an aggressive rider, but the other day I was doing a slow, twisty, rocky descent and I missed a turn and suddenly found myself barreling straight down! On previous bikes I would have probably wiped out, but this thing handled it beautifully.

mtbr member
    Right on Dugggg! I have really enjoyed mine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugggg View Post
    I bought my 15" model from Jenson two months ago, and love it for just tooling around on trails. Because I'm just 5'5" I wanted a 26er and nicer ones are getting harder to find these days.

I am not an aggressive rider, but the other day I was doing a slow, twisty, rocky descent and I missed a turn and suddenly found myself barreling straight down! On previous bikes I would have probably wiped out, but this thing handled it beautifully.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    Right on Dugggg! I have really enjoyed mine so far.
    Thanks azorr!

I do have one question, about the Maxles. The rear one screwed in all the way, but fully screwing in the front Maxle causes the brake rotor to rub against the caliper. I tried repositioning the caliper, but it was as far out as it can go. The fix was to back out the Maxle about one turn and then close the QR. But this seems to make the wheel a bit wobbly.

Did you have to do this too?

mtbr member
    No, mine is just right with it tightened all the way. I would drop Jenson a line right away (assuming that's where you bought it), I did have a different problem with my front brake and they took care of it right away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    No, mine is just right with it tightened all the way. I would drop Jenson a line right away (assuming that's where you bought it), I did have a different problem with my front brake and they took care of it right away.
    I just emailed Jenson as you suggested. However, looking at the problem more closely, I am wondering if my front hub is missing a large spacer on the rotor side. There is one on the QR side, but just a big hole on the rotor side where a spacer might fit.

Could you do me a huge favor? Take your front wheel off and post a close-up pic of your rotor?

mtbr member

Re: Does anyone ride a Dakar AMT?

Yes, sounds like you are missing the end cap for the wheel. There should be one on both sides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast