Thread: Dear Jamis...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Dear Jamis...

...are you ever going to love this one, LOL!

On One bikes...."a revolutionary company?" meh.
    I don't get it. So many people are going "GAGA" over the On One 456 Evo b/c of its new "EVOlutionary" geometry. According to On One, riders have changed and riding has changed.

You people wonder why I like my 2005 Jamis Komodo so much? Basically, the only geo difference is that the ETT is longer which is actually better b/c I can run a shorter stem instead of having a freakin' HAWG LEG holding on to my wide bars. My Komodo is 7 years old and isn't showing any sign of letting up. It rails corners and is definitely the most comfortable bike I've ever had.

The numbers don't lie:

My 2005 Komodo:
    HA 150mm fork: 67.5
    ETT: 625
    CS Length: 16.7
    Seat Angle: 71.5

On One 456 Evo:
    HA 150mm fork: 67.3
    ETT: 603
    CS Length: 16.8
    Seat Angle: 71.2

And I'll bet you my Freeride-Hardtail-tough Komodo frame is lighter than the steel 456 Evo. On One has openly admitted that the 456 is a stiff frame, so the "MYTH" that the steel is going to be compliant and comfy is out the window on this one.

Revolutionary? Maybe 7 years ago, LOL!

Jamis still rocks the GnarlyHardtail department.

I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looking at the numbers...the '12 Komodo will be a similar deal. Though it's designed around a 130mm fork versus the 150...if you slap a 140 or 150mm fork on it, the HA will be the same as mine, the ETT will be the same, the chainstays will be 3/4" shorter which will make it handle even better...the only difference would be the seat tube angle which would be a non-issue. Go Komodo yourself, now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    On-One offers the 456 in a carbon version that will accept 650B wheels and I believe swap outs so you can run SS. I like my Jamis Nemesis, but the fit and finish is nowhere near that of a Cannondale or Specialized, and the price differential between them and the other brands seems to be narrowing. I like how they are supporting the B wheel format, but they are not the bargain like they used to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Not really following the point but since you said it...the Dragon B will handle better than a modified 456 to accept a B. The B specific geometry trumps a makeshift 650B.

Either way, the point is that On One is touting their Evo as evolutionary when Jamis was doing it 7 years ago...and the Komodo frame at 3 bills is still a bargain.
    Not dissing the Evo. Just saying that they are copying 7yo numbers and calling it new and improved.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by chelboed; 09-29-2012 at 05:12 PM.