Bleeder at large
    Feb 2004

Dakota Elite rear spacing

I have a 2009 Dakota Elite that I picked up a few months ago. I've noticed that I have to really ratchet down the QR on the rear wheel to keep it from sliding out. I'm a fairly strong guy, and I have to tighten it almost as hard as I can to keep the rear wheel straight.

Has anyone else experienced this? As I tighten the rear qr, I can see the rear seatstays/chainstays flex in to fit tight to the hub. It's almost like I could put a washer in there...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This does not sound right. Could it be your hub? The first thing I would do is measure the spacing between the dropouts without a wheel. It ought to be 135mm or very close.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Check the Axle Lock Nuts

you should have a 1/4 inch wide locking nut that fits a 17mm wrench on the axle, you should have one on both sides.

that spacing sounds very wide especially for the fact that the seatstay is a carbon monostay.

good luck

Bleeder at large
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    This does not sound right. Could it be your hub? The first thing I would do is measure the spacing between the dropouts without a wheel. It ought to be 135mm or very close.
    Finally got around to measuring the dropouts, and they are at 139mm. I didn't have a good way to accurately measure the hub. I could put the hub in a truing stand and then measure the gap between the stand forks, but I don't have a truing stand available. Maybe I'll call Jamis and see what they think.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Dropout measurements

2007 dakota comp frame
    2009 dakota elite frame
    Both on my wall and measured 135mm

Bleeder at large
    Feb 2004
    thanks, I've turned this into Jamis, twice now, with no response. I guess I won't be racing this weekend, how ironic since my team is sponsored by Jamis. :-\

Bleeder at large
    Feb 2004
    Jamis finally got the frame warrantied. They were pretty quick once we got the paperwork turned in.