mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Dakota 29 headset specs?

The stock headset on my 09 Dakota 29 is shot. I don't know what happened. It's always been a bit stiff, but the last couple of rides if it's running so sticky you have to force the wheel where you want it. And to get it to run free, it has to be loose and rattling. I've messed with it more than I want. My issue is not knowing what dimensions the headset are. It's internal, but how deep of cups can it accept? And is it a standard 44mm internal zero stack?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm getting the same kind of action with mine as well. Please let me know what you find out as a new headset is on the horizon for me too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice to know I'm not alone at least. I've been researching replacements, but I'm left wondering which one will fit, or which ones won't fit my frame. I think the standard 44mm will fit, but what about depth? That is where the greatest variation is with replacements.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So I figured out it is indeed a 44mm spacing. But what the flip stack height do I need? I measured the frame, and there is 10mm upper and lower thats machined out. does that mean I'm looking for a headset with a stack height of less than 20mm or what?