mtbr member

Dakar XLT Chain Clearance

Does anyone else have issues with chain clearance on their XLT's. I just built an 05 XLT and have the XT front derailleur that comes stock on the bike. The derailleur is set as low as it can go because of the pivot joint and the chain rubbs the bottom of the derailleur cage in 1-7, 1-8, and 1-9. I know these arent frequently used gears but I cant believe Jamis would design a frame like this. I have tried numerous derailleurs and finaly contacted Jamis to get the model of the exact XT FD that comes stock on the bike and I had the same clearance issue. I went to both of my LBS's and they pretty much had no answer for me and blame it on poor frame design. Is there something I'm missing here?? Does anyone else own an XLT that can elaborate on this? I love this bike but I know this is going to bug the hell out of me
    Last edited by JSumner13; 03-13-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Same here, however have seen this in a lot of bikes, Trek liquid, Ells truth, specialized. Generaly the extremes of gearing, meaning 1x7,8,9 or 3x1,2,3 are not frequently used. In this you should try replacing with 2x5,6,7 or something around...

Former Bike Wrench
    First off...when are you ever riding in those gears, or better yet why would you be riding in those gears?
    Seems kind of funny to be accusing Jamis of a bad frame design when your riding gear combinations that any skilled rider would avoid.

Also, your using a top swing derailuer on a frame that was designed for a bottom swing derailuer (which is why you can't lower it anymore). So again...bad frame design or bad rider (and builder)?

A lot of full suspension designs...especially with longer travel...have this "issue" when they're in a work stand...but you'll probably find that once 20-25% sag is set in (ie, when riding the bike) that this won't be a problem. Of course the chain will still probably rub the outside of the derailuer because your cross chaining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    First off...when are you ever riding in those gears, or better yet why would you be riding in those gears?
    Seems kind of funny to be accusing Jamis of a bad frame design when your riding gear combinations that any skilled rider would avoid.

Also, your using a top swing derailuer on a frame that was designed for a bottom swing derailuer (which is why you can't lower it anymore). So again...bad frame design or bad rider (and builder)?

A lot of full suspension designs...especially with longer travel...have this "issue" when they're in a work stand...but you'll probably find that once 20-25% sag is set in (ie, when riding the bike) that this won't be a problem. Of course the chain will still probably rub the outside of the derailuer because your cross chaining.
    The derailleur I'm using is the derailleur that comes stock on the XLT frame. Its a top pull, BOTTOM swing derailleur. I dont ride in those gears. I've just never owned a bike that has chain rub like that. Please dont make assumptions of my riding or building ability when you have never met me before. I just find that extremely uncalled for. I do appreciate your advise about the sag though.

Former Bike Wrench
    Then don't make assumptions that because you've never encountered a bike that has chain rub in a bike stand that it is a poor design. I'm sure Jamis would find it uncalled for!

Its actually very common on full suspension frames

PS-Your bike shop calling it "a poor design" shows a complete mechanical inaptitude on their part. Might want to find a more qualified shop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Then don't make assumptions that because you've never encountered a bike that has chain rub in a bike stand that it is a poor design. I'm sure Jamis would find it uncalled for!

Its actually very common on full suspension frames

PS-Your bike shop calling it "a poor design" shows a complete mechanical inaptitude on their part. Might want to find a more qualified shop
    I did make a wrongfull assumption about Jamis based on my lack of knowledge on FS frames. This is my first FS. I've always ridden hardtails. My LBS is evidently a very biased Specialized dealer. That probably had something to do with thier comments. I do love this bike a lot. I'll post pics when its all finished.