mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dakar XC Pro rear suspension bushing woes

I have a ~ 2001 - 2002 Jamis Dakar Pro. Last week I took the rear shock linkages and bushings apart to clean and relube. I now notice considerable side-to-side play at the pivot where the seatstays meet the two short vertical arms; it's also where the two ~1.5" long bolts from either side thread into the ~1/2" diameter cylinder with the flats for holding it with a wrench. If I put two thin (really thin - 1/64"?) washers between that cylinder and the short arms, that would take care of the play. I can't figure out what I did to create the slop when I put the thing back together, there's not too many ways to screw it up, but apparently I did.

Any advice?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    For what it's worth, I looked at my XC comp, and sure enough, there is what looks like a 1/32" or 1/64" of space between the seatstays and the vertical arms that you talk about. In fact, there is this same space between the vertical arms and the top tube attachment points. I can't get any play in these areas, but the spaces definitely exist. Are you sure everything is tightened enough?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fully tightened...

Yeah, I tightened them 'too tight' just to see if the pay would be reduced, but it wouldn't. I think I'll take it apart again and reassemble. Also, I think I'll check my toolbox for any leftover parts.

I looked at this diagram

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/tech_lounge/XC_TECH_PAGE.pdf

on Jamis' website but it's of a newer frame. The small parts in my rear suspension are slightly different. However I do see a washer in the diagram - p/n 27. Notice it's not on the parts list though?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Perhaps this is the problem

Maybe I just didn't notice the large amount of play before. Again, I thought I did something wrong when I took it apart, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled. But after doing it three times, I think the bushings are just worn on the ends. Those two outside bolts thread into the same center piece, and I think they're just 'bottoming out', or rather reaching the end of their threads. The center piece is tapped all the way through, but of course you can't thread a long bolt all the way through because it's tapped with opposite threads from each side. However, If I were to grind just a hair off the bolt ends, that would take up the slack. I think I'll try it.

Any other suggestions are certainly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Potential solution

Well, I seem to be doing most of the talking here, but whatever.... maybe this'll help someone else in the near future.

I called Jamis and they said just go ahead and try grinding off the ends of both bolts to tighten up the pivot.

Also, I asked if he'd heard anything about polymer bushings. He said yes, they thought about it but would've had to manuf. them here and ship to China, so they just didn't do it. I told him that I had a set of IGUS polymer bushings which were given to me by an IGUS sales guy some years ago. I never installed them because I was afraid they would'nt fit right, or that they just wouldn't work well. He suggested to 'go for it'. So I think I'll pick a set to install where I have the most play. I'll report the results here later.