mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Dakar XC Pro & LX cranks install

Hello,

I'm trying to install some Hollowtech II LX cranks on my '06 XC Pro frame. First off, is it a 68 or 73 mm BB shell? I tried measuring but it seems to come out a little wider than 68 but not quite 73. Anyways the cranks come with three 2.5mm spacers and I'm wondering how many I need on each side to make sure my chain lines up right and everything. Should I have 2 on drive side and one on non-drive? Or some other combination?

P.S. almost done building it up, just need to cable up the deralliurs, get longer tubing for my rear disc (XL frame), and put on a handlebar when it comes in the mail. I'll post pics when it's all done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The BB is 68

As for spacers, I don't know. I put a new (old stock) XT hollowtech crank on with the square-tapered Shimano UN73 68 X 115 BB. Works like a champ.

mtbr member
    Take a look at Shimano's installation instructions for the cranks, it's pretty clear on spacer arrangement. If I remember, it's 2 on one side and 1 on the other for 68mm BB's, forgot which side goes where though. You can get the directions on Shimano's website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You're right, I dug out the instructions and it's 2 on drive side, 1 on left side. Thanks for all the help, mtbr and its members are awesome