mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Dakar XC Expert V-Brake Studs

I have a 2005 Dakar XC Expert frame with a carbon fiber rear chainstay. The chainstay is threaded for V-Brake studs. I purchased some studs and installed them. I went to install the v-brakes and realized that there are no holes for the stopper pin on either the chainstay or the studs. Is there an adaptor or something that I need for the stopper pin to insert into?

So far I have contacted my local Jamis dealer twice with no success, I have contacted Jamis via their website twice with no response (waiting a week for each response), and I have contacted two other bike shops. Today I left a message at Jamis and maybe I'll hear back. Have any of you used V-brakes with your Jamis Dakar frame?

mtbr member
    The cf seat stay on the Expert and Pro does have mounting holes for v brakes, but I don't believe you should consider actually using them because of the flexability of cf stay. The design of the seat stay will cause it to compress at the brake location upon landing from anything as little as a 12" drop.
    Scars are like tattoos - only with better memories...