Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

Dakar XC Expert front derailleur?

Hello folks,

Looks like I'll be joining the Jamis family as I just picked up a new 2005 Dakar XC Expert frame on eBay for a price I couldn't resist.

A quick question about the front derailleur:

I notice in all the pictures of this model that a high clamp, bottom swing front derailleur is being used. Ideally I'd like to use an XT top swing (low clamp) since I've got extras, but is that not possible to fit due to the location of the chain stay pivot? Alternatively, has anyone used a SRAM XGen on this model?

Karl

Former Bike Wrench
    Well, I got a 2005 XLT with an SRAM X-Gen and it works great. But its a high clamp, bottom swing as well. Judging by where the pivot is on the XLT...it'd be a real tight fit for a top swing derailuer to fit in there. Maybe if you were running a 46t big ring it might fit....

But unless you already have a top swing derailuer (which I'm guessing is the case), just go with a bottom swing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

should work

I have a '05 XC Comp, same frame, and though I run an Xgen, there is still about 3" of seat tube left before the top-of-pivot. Looking at the XT on my son's bike, it looks like it would work. For what it's worth - the Xgen/X-9/X-0 twist shift setup I have is the best shifting combo I have used in 22-years of mountain biking and I highly recommend SRAM components (including Truvativ cranks/BB's but not the finicky Juicy 5 discs I have). Once dialed in, the Comp has proven to be an excellent trail bike and I would choose a Jamis again in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    just got a new jamis xlt frame, and no, a bottom clamp does not work, hits the weld...
    WARNING: Riding with improperly adjusted brakes or bake pads is dangerous and can result in serious injury or death.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire
    just got a new jamis xlt frame, and no, a bottom clamp does not work, hits the weld...
    Thanks, that's what I figured too after looking closely at various photos. I've snagged a SRAM X-Gen to go along with the new frame.

Karl