mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Dakar XC chainstay failure!

While out riding Saturday,just climbing along then total failure of both chainstays!I had all ready had this happen about six months ago and Jamis replaced lower swing arm.My bike is a 2006 and now I wonder if this failure is a flaw in production or is the xc not trail tough? Should I look into an all mountain bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I haven't had a problem with my 2005 Dakar. I also weigh 160 and make it a point to not do drops to flats, and I don't have the skills/nerve to get much air. The Dakar XC is obviously not suited to your weight/riding style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My Dakar is a 2006 with new design chainsay. This part was replaced 6 months ago,and it snapped both sides right at point where brace is welded to chainstay.I ride singletrack but I don't jump or do drops.Jamis has had this frame problem for a few years now! There must be a reason why this part fails?It just sucks walking 2 miles to my truck with bike on my shoulder!

RmR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We just had the SAME thing happen a few hours ago. It was interesting because I'd been having ghost shifting on the bigger cogs that could not seem to be fixed. Now it appears that a weak chain stay has been torquing the cogs -

We bought the bike used - does anyone have any experience with Jamis honoring a warranty for a non-original owner?

IMBA Supporter
    Apr 2006
    I had a similar problem. However, I had good success with Jamis and my dealer.

Jamis gave me two options:
    1) Upgrade the frame from an '06 to '07 model which was totally redesigned and I haven't had a problem. Cost was around ~ $250 or so . No exchange of old frame was required.

2) Exchange an '06 for an '07 XLT. No cost for the frame, but the fork is 130mm instead of 100mm. Exchange of old frame was required.

I selected #1 and then installed a new chainstay on the old frame and sold it. Option #1 let me use 100% of my existing components. #2 would have required I purchase a fork.

If your an original owner, see if the dealer can work with you and Jamis. I don't see that the warranty is transferrable.

I'm in the mid 200 lbs range ... hindsight being 20/20 an XLT or XAM is a better option for those of us over 200 lbs.

There are some new XLT frames at www.jensonusa.com

The Jamis rep told me the warranty claims on '07 and newer frames were less than half a dozen this past year which was a dramatic improvement over previous years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Good job! Dakar chainstay

Was your bike a Dakar or XLT? I just got word from Jamis about upgrading to a XLT 3.0 frame. The Dakar xc frame has chainstay issues that make me nervous about epic rides and the thought of walking out of the woods in January. I really enjoy the ride on the Dakar and hope the XLT frame is agood bike. Jamis has a good product and they really do stand behind their bikes and their customers!!

IMBA Supporter
    Apr 2006
    My bike was a 2006 Dakar XC Comp

The Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 is a stronger "all mountain" frame which has more reinforcements than the lighter cross country frame of the Dakar XC Comp I had.

I was offered a couple of options. One was the upgrade option to a 2007 XCR model which cost me a little more but it is an entirely redesigned frame. I may have mentioned this earlier, but it is supposed to be both lighter and stronger.

I was offered the XLT 3.0 straight across which has a much better shock with it. Or, I could upgrade to a newer model 2007 XCR Pro frame for $250. In both situations, Jamis was offering a better frame and shock combination to compensate me for my troubles.
    If I'd gone with the XLT 3.0, I would have needed a 130 mm front fork. I already had a 100mm R7 which was less than a year old. My LBS switched over all the components from my 2007 XC to the 2007 XCR. Like me, you may need the longer front fork. To me that made the decision to go with the XCR which had the same fork length of 100 mm that the XC had which seems most cost effective.

Was your XC the base model or an upgraded version like the comp, expert or pro?
    That may impact what level of frame they will exchange for you.

IMBA Supporter
    Apr 2006
    For the non-original owner ... I recall a price of about $75 for a new chainstay from Jamis.

Less expensive than a new frame. Be sure and provide your frame size, the chainstay triangle varies by size of of frame.