Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dakar XAM 1.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

dakar XAM 1.0

anybody ride this? I looking at this and the Kona Dawg Deluxe. I dont have any local dealers here where I can take one for a test ride. How heavy is it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I know that the corporate world has to cut corners somewhere to be able to offer a good product at a reasonable price, but that wheelset would be the first thing to go if it were mine...Deore hubs? C'mon. Don't get me wrong, it's a well spec'd bike and is a reasonable weight. It's just that when you get to 1900 bucks...you don't expect to see Deore anything on it, right?

I'd still buy it over the Kona. I love the new design and if it's anything like my XLT...WOW!

mtbr member
    Sean, I got my XAM1 back in early November, even with a long winter I have put about 700 miles on it. People complain about the wheels, but $1900 is less than any other bike with similar specs, fox suspension front and rear, XT (although I switched everything over to SRAM X9) I will likely switch the wheels soon and still have saved money and have a spare wheel set if anything comes up. Mine is about 32lbs and could easily drop a couple of pounds just with a couple of upgrades as parts wear out. All of my miles are on trail, pretty tech stuff and the rear end is still solid, no play. Good luck with the decision, a lot of great AM bikes out there these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by batts65
    Sean, I got my XAM1 back in early November, even with a long winter I have put about 700 miles on it. People complain about the wheels, but $1900 is less than any other bike with similar specs, fox suspension front and rear, XT (although I switched everything over to SRAM X9) I will likely switch the wheels soon and still have saved money and have a spare wheel set if anything comes up. Mine is about 32lbs and could easily drop a couple of pounds just with a couple of upgrades as parts wear out. All of my miles are on trail, pretty tech stuff and the rear end is still solid, no play. Good luck with the decision, a lot of great AM bikes out there these days.

I had a set of XT/x317d wheels. They were alright, I guess. The x317's aren't quite as much of an issue to me as the cheap hubs. Either way...I guess you could just buy the bike, enjoy the ride, and replace as stuff fails.

I had an LX hub that failed on the first ride of a brand new bike. The freewheel locked up. Ever since then, I steer clear of any Shimano hub below the XT level. My XT's were pretty dang nice, but quite heavy.

Either way, I still rec. the XAM over the Kona. Great bike and good spec. for the $$$ w/ the exception of the hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How does it do on climbs? Unfortunatly the only Jamis dealer around doesnt have any in stock, so I would have to buy it without ever taking a test ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanyRocket
    How does it do on climbs? Unfortunatly the only Jamis dealer around doesnt have any in stock, so I would have to buy it without ever taking a test ride!

Kinda risky, don't ya think? If your Jamis dealer wants to sell any bikes at all shouldn't he order something so people can test ride it at least in the parking lot?

Does he have any XLT's in stock to test? Maybe you could test that for a small idea of what it'd be like. It'd be best if you could try something with the same rear shock setup though...the DHX air is much different than the float R.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    what are the differences?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just bought one yesterday. THe dealer had to order one and it will come in next week. I've done some research on this bike on the internet and i haven't heard anything but good stuff about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanyRocket
    what are the differences?
    I'm assuming you mean the differences between the Float R and the DHX 3.0 air.

Main difference is going to be the adjustable tuning range via Schraeder valve for the boost valve. It will affect the damping by increasing/decreasing pressures in the boost valve. Helps increase pedaling efficiency or bump compliance depending on which way you go <>.

Another difference is the amount of oil in the piggy-back reservoir compared to the Float. Extended rough DH sections will be handled better b/c of the larger volume of oil.

IMO...I think the Float R on my XLT felt "over taxed" compared to the DHX shox I've ridden and especially compared to my Van R. It's just not a good shock for aggressive riding. I remember one time in Arkansas...I was doing an extended DH section of an XC trail and the Float R started to "wheeze". I can only assume it's because the oil was getting warm enough to cavitate? I dunno...It sounded like you dumped all the oil into a blender and hit "frappe", then dumped it back into the shock with all of the frothy bubbles still in it and passed it by the damper. I actually backed off the rebound damping because it was soooo annoying. Performance suffered just so I could think straight and enjoy the trail, hehe.

I am pretty impressed with the XLT...enough to actually buy an XAM mail order w/o testing it. But...if you've never ridden an XLT or XAM, I'd try to test it first. I really don't think you can go wrong either way but if you've never ridden a similar design...you may want to find a dealer in a nearby city that has one to test.

Props to DMoreau!!! Congrat's on the new ride, dude! I wish I had one. When my XLT poops out in a few yrs, maybe I can take the plunge!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just got the XAM today. It is awesome. I swapped the clipless pedals out for the gold crankbrothers 50/50 pedals. I rode it around the parking lot a little. We had a nasty storm yesterday and a monsoon this afternoon. It quit raining when i pulled into the parking lot then started again when i left. I want to take it riding this weekend, but i lost my wallet today and it had my drivers license and my salesman's license(My bike hauler has a dealers tag) so i might not be able to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think I am gonna go with the Kona Dawg Deluxe... I am probably gonna be doing some more XC riding and I think it just suits me better.

Thanks for all the good input though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

SeanyRocket, Location?

Hey man, where do you live? Maybe I can find a bike for oyu to test out.
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    charlotte, nc

mtbr member
    May 2007
    where do you live at in charlotte. I live near concord mills mall and right down the road from the poplar tent trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    east charlotte, off of independence

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm up in Cornelius, and bought an XAM1 from iRide cycles- call Jake 704 947 2865
    Hell, if you want to terst ride mine, let me know!
    I have an XL and I took the air shock off and went with a coiler FOX DHX 5.0 (look at my screen name!) Sooooo Noice

DM- I like the PT trails a ton! Ride there sometimes. My nieghborhood trail is Fisher Farm.
    Keep the rubber side down!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    clyde, me and some friends are going up there this sunday at 2:00 for a ride, thats tommorow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Unconditional Appreciation

I'm a Jamis rider, 7 years on a Dakar Expert, 6 months on a XAM 2.0. When I look at purchasing a new bike I make a spread sheet comparing the components of all the brands in my price range. I also look at the next model up as often a small up charge yields far greater value, given the fact bikes last a long time and major technology changes come around every 5 years or so. I have taken long breaks from the forum as the rant becomes like a soap opera. If you riders are so passionate about the sport, do some research yourself and ask real questions, not the usual " I'm looking at two bikes, what would be best for me ". I have chosen Jamis for my second bike after a year long look at every bike in and slightly over my comfort zone. Researched the components, compared the geometry to get a fit. I rode bikes with similar measurements to get a feel and made my final choice based on closest fit, components and reputation [ wasn't concerned I couldn't actually ride an XAM ]. Ask me, if I have had breakdowns, hell yes. The difference, I don't wine, I get in touch with the support I need to get my bike back on the trail. No bike is perfect, spec's and componetry compromised are made with all brands. What is important is that you chose what is right for you and get out and ride. However I believe Jamis makes fewer compromises. When you flat, you don't complain, you fix it. When you crash, you brag about it. When the bike brakes, focus on what needs to be done to ride again. How cool can you be! I AM A JAMIS RIDER, I UNCONDITIONALLY LOVE MY XAM 2.0.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Spread sheets are for the all-knowing condescending people who don't know how to spell "whine" and "breaks"...not for "JAMIS RIDERS".

Lighten up on the guy.

And when exactly did the OP say that he was "so passionate about the sport"? Maybe he did search most of his options and narrowed it down to two bikes. I have actually learned a little bit from separating the obvious crap from valuable info presented in the forum. I have made a few purchases based on feedback, and cancelled a few based on other feedback. All good choices from the people you just slammed.

I agree that Jamis makes fewer comprimises and stands behind their product. Don't slam somebody because they don't build a spreadsheet every time they decide to purchase something important.

mtbr member
    I've been riding a XAM1 since January and for the most part love the bike, it's given me confidence to ride a lot more terrain and has eased up on the beating on my forty something year old body. Other than lots of paint chips on the chain stays the one issue I have is the derailler hanger, broke one right at the bolt hole and the replacement seems to get bent pretty easily. luckily i live close to some good shops to keep fixin me up but at this rate i'm going to buy a tool so i can straighten it out every few rides. looking at it i just see a lot of shortcoming with the design - and it aint cheap to replace. anyone else having similar issues or is it just me mashing and trashing up the rocky pennsylvania trails?
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    May 2007
    mbike, I agree about the derailer hanger. Jamis should give you an extra with the bike and should send all there dealers one for stock. NO ONE has it in stock around here (St. Louis, MO) My son purchased his about 2 weeks ago in Ashville, NC (he goes to school there) and Monday 7-30 broke the hanger. Yestereday I called both dealers in town and niether had one since it is new. I had the dealer here in Webster order 2 for me and IF he's lucky he may get to ride again this Sat. In the meantime he is using my car (instead of his bike) to get to work.

JAMIS, please fix this. The part is $15 and is made to break!! I understand why, but you are doing your company and your customers a great disservice by letting them find out the hard way. Send them all a couple of freebies and start selling them in packs of 3 for $20 or so.

Thanks, Ed

Sorry for the rant as my first post.

mtbr member
    hey ed, you got a good deal on yours - i think i paid $19, I hope you ordered a spare to keep in the camelback! knock on wood i haven't broke another one but my issue seems to be alot of bending making the derailer out of tune within a few rides, i'm wondering how much bending back it will take before this one snaps...i hate doing on trail repairs
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    May 2007
    mbike, I did order 2. I'll let you know how the new hangers work out.

In my opinion a hanger should never bend, it should protect the derailer by breaking when required, but not bend. (the derailer should not need to be adjusted when a hanger is replaced) It should also, NOT be a profit part. Cover cost and overhead but don't ream us!

Shop just called and have them, will update later.

Ed

mtbr member
    May 2007
    mbike, Ordered on Tues and received Thur paid an extra
    $10 for shipping which I ok'd when ordering. Initial reports are very good.

Kudos to the great guys at Bike and Rack Shack in Webster Groves, Mo
    for there great service.

More later, Ed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast