mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Dakar Standover Height

Hi all,
    Does anybody know how much the standover height on the Dakar XCRs changed with the '07 redesign? I was planning to build up a leftover '05 17" Dakar Expert frame to replace my '96 17" Dakota AL. However, after riding a 17" Dakar ('04 XC), I'm concerned that the bike's too tall for me. I'm 5'8" with about a 30" inseam, and my Dakota gave me about 2-3" of clearance; the Dakar knocks that down to about an inch, too close for my comfort.

So my question is, should I be looking for a 15" Dakar (smaller than I've ever ridden), or do you think the redesign brought the top tube height down far enough that I could stay on a 17? Relatedly, does anyone know where along the TT Jamis measures standover height? I found the specs for the 07/08 bikes, but I don't know how to directly compare to my Dakota. Of course, taking them all for a spin would be ideal, but nobody within 50 miles of me has any in stock. Thanks for any suggestions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Never mind, I found out that the standover height actually increased a touch with the redesign, and my desired geometry is right between the 15 and 17. Thanks anyway!