Thread: Dakar squeaking

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Dakar squeaking

Hope this isn't too basic, I'm pretty much a noob. Anyways, My '05 Dakar Sport has developed a bad squeak at the ( i think) top tube suspension pivot mount. Any tips on what i need to do? Thanks in advance.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Start with disassembling the top pivot and cleaning it. If that doesn't fix it you'll probably need to replace the bushings and axle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks. I'll try that when it gets warm again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Service

How long have you ridden the bike? Have you ever serviced the suspension pivots? Have you ever retorqued the bolts? On a full suspension ride it's critical to check the torque every ride to ensure nothing has come loose. I disassemble, service every 3-4 months, depending on weather, all my pivots, put blue loctite on the bolts and torque to manufacturers spes. Don't forget to DU bushings on the shock, these get real cruddy, however easy to replace if the teflon coating is worn off. Good Luck Dave

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The top tube suspension pivot, (top of bell crank) can be a royal pain in the rear to take apart if you are not careful. I've done it, and never want to do it again!!

Before diggin' into that, check the obvious, seat post, bottom bracket type stuff first. They can both squeek and give you the sensation of coming from somewhere else. Since you are still a noob of sorts I would recommend that you have a LBS mechanic diagnose the source of the squeek and he'll probably show you how to check and fix it your self, if you want to learn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

How Mechanical are you

We can't access how mechanical you are. Go to the Jamis page, go to service manuals, look at the exploded view of you bike, decide for yourself if you can take it apart. A once a year service may be fine for someone who rides is Calif, the rest of us ride year round, mud , snow the works, a quarterly service will make you poor. Jamis bikes are made to be easily serviced, they even show you how to do it, take advantage of all the services offered to you. Your call, I learned to pull my bike right down to almost last bolt, after my LBS stripped a crank arm. Bikes are made for people, not technicians, sorry to say, with a little patience, it's easy. Now trueing wheels thats tough, I won't do that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I've definitely got some ideas to start working with. I am actually a fairly competent mechanic, i've just never worked on bikes. I'll check the website and then tear into it when it gets a little warmer. Again thanks for all the help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just checked the Jamis website, doesn't look too bad actually. All the torque specs are in kgf but my torque wrench is in lb/ft. I guess i'll need a new wrench? Any other tools i need to start doing my own bike maintenance? My tools are all based on automotive maintenance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Kfg to in-lbs conversion

take the Kgf value x .87 = in-lbs. Your going to do great and will love your bike more. Dave

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    my xlt 2.0 squeaks as well. i'm fairly certain its at the seat post frame union. not sure what a person is supposed to do to cure that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    my xlt developed a strange mystery squeak mid-ride last night - not post, not pivots - finally tracked it down the rear der cable run between top tube and seat stay, some grit had worked it's way in and was making the end cap squeak against the frame!

moral of the story - it will be the last (and hence least likely) place that's causing it

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Update... I had a little free time this afternoon so i got the bike out, started poking around and ended up putting a little spray lubricant on the suspension pivots (upper link) and letting the air out of the shock so i could cycle everything. Squeak is gone for now. When i have more free time i'll do something more permanent. At least i know its in that link now. Thanks everyone for all the help.