mtbr member
    May 2005

dakar sport questions ...

I've got an '04 Jamis Dakar Sport. Had a lot of trouble with it in the past, but I've pulled a few upgrades and well its gotten better. I'm 220lbs, and do basic XC riding, with some occasional small rock gardens. I've never been overly enthused about the fork (manitou black), so I'm getting ready for a new one, but since the bike was $850 brand new I don't want to spend $500 on a fork ya dig?

So I'm thinking of getting an '06 close out fork, Marzocchi MX Pro Eta/Tas 100/120

Its adjustable from 100-120 mm. Stock is 100mm, does anyone know if this throws off a Dakar's geometry (assuming I leave it at 100mm).

Anyone know if I need a new front brake or adaptor to go from that Manitou to Marzocchi.

Also would anyone else have a recommendation on another fork, I must say that whole locking out to a lower travel position does sound appealing, but again I don't know if it will really throw off its geometry.

Also the rear derailer is a Deore. I have a brand new XT ready to go once it dies for good (its shifting ok for now). Anyone have an opinion if I should just put in the XT and save the old Deore incase the XT dies, or just use up the Deore as I am now.
    Rule # 59. "Free advice is seldom cheap."

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    my mate has a 05 dakar xc comp with the adjustable travel manitou blacks. He only uses them at 100mm, he feels that at 100mm it matches the rear travel well. He never winds the travel out to 120mm as it slows the steering and he just doesn't like it.
    you will need a adapter for your brakes the manitou is post mount and the maz is IS mount.
    I would also fit the XT rear mech and enjoy the better shifting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I also have an 05 XC Comp with the Black fork and only run it at 100mm though my reason is not for geometry. Running the Black at 100mm gives the fork more preload which suits my weight; at 120mm the ride is just too squishy. My hunch is that the Marzocchi Pro, if it's the one with air adjust, would work fine at 120 and that the average rider won't be able to perceive much of a handling difference as a result of the 20mm change. I would love to change out my bike's fork to the Pro if only my economic situation wasn't so bad.

LAD

04 Jamis Dakar Sport

I have this bike with really no problems, but built it from a frame. I had a Manitou Axel fork $70 oem price, which performed quit well no complaints. Now, I have a Fox 05 vanilla R, which my son found on ebay for $150. I love this fork.

I changed out the 500 lb rear vanilla spring for 800 lbs, as I am 220 lbs. I changed the fork spring to RED, much stiffer for my weight and changed to travel to 100 mm. I feel that the factory travel should be adhered to for warrantee and other? reasons.

Yes manitou forks bolt directly to the discs, and all other forks need the ISO adapter.

mtbr member
    May 2005

where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by larryducas
    I changed out the 500 lb rear vanilla spring for 800 lbs, as I am 220 lbs. I changed the fork spring to RED, much stiffer for my weight and changed to travel to 100 mm. I feel that the factory travel should be adhered to for warrantee and other? reasons.
    Mind if I ask where you found this spring and for how much? That rear shock has been eating at me too, but I figured it was working. When I got my dakar my lbs said it'd be no problem to get me a new spring for $20 after a week or two, they never could get one. I haven't been able to find one online either.

I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Fox Vanilla R / RLC. It's a coil sprung fork so it will be sssssssssssooooooooo plush, and on the Vanilla R 130 and earlier models, you can change it internally to 100mm travel.

If you get one used off ebay, you will spend $150-$200. Then you can ship it to PUSH Industries and have them custom tune it to your weight and riding style. ($159).

You will be left with the "plushest" little XC fork on the market, hehe.

The new Van R 140 and RLC 140 are 5" only, so you can't internally change them to 100mm.

If this is too much of a hassle, look at a Rockshox Reba. It's a closet "trail killer". Very under appreciated.

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by Somsoc
    Mind if I ask where you found this spring and for how much? That rear shock has been eating at me too, but I figured it was working. I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
    The original poster on that spring (larryducas) is my dad, so allow me to answer for him: Call Fox 1-800-FOX-SHOX/1-800-369-7469 and they should be able to hook you up. They sell direct to the consumer, so there is no reason to go through your LBS. Also, just a head's up, Santa Cruz is having a shock sale and you can pick up a Fox RP23 for only $99 that will fit the Jamis. If you have the $$, I highly recommend it. There was one on there last night--it is off now but they are constantly revising the in-stock supply and it could very well be listed again: http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...3399187e6ddb22

I am running a 105mm Marzocchi MX Pro w/ ETA on my '04 Jamis Dakar Sport and it works great. I'm not sure I'd want a 120mm fork since the rear travel is only 90mm, but that's just my opinion.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    May 2005

thanks

Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank you all for the advice. Good stuff.

LAD
    DSDUKE is right. Fox will sell you any spring, they go in 50lb. increments for $25. Ditto with fork springs.