mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Dakar Sport... Need some help with mine.

Hey there! I am wondering if it is normal to have very slight lateral play on the rear of my dakar sport.. at first i thought it was my spokes and/or hub that was loose but i really think it is very slight play in the rear triangle. if i hold just the handlebars while standing next to the bike and shake it (the bike).... it wiggles just a little bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    To see if there's play in the linkage...don't hold the handlebar. Hold the seat, lean the bike away from you and grab the rear wheel. Rock it toward and away from you. If there's play in it, grab the seat stay and rock it toward and away. If the play is gone...it's the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ok i finally got to actually ride my bike since breaking my arms. Anyhow, the rear is loose and i cant figure out the source completley, i found some visible play where the seatstays meet the black lever that connects the shock, ive snugged them up but im still getting play and i cant seem to pinpoint it... not a whole lot, just enough the if i grab it and push back and forth i can hear/feel it slightly. does anyone know the correct torque specs on all the pivots or do you think it could be something else?? any help is really appreciated.. this bike seriously has maybe 8 to 10 miles on it now.

mtbr member
    Specs available herehttp://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/tech_l..._TECH_PAGE.pdf
    I have play in my XLT and the Jamis guy at Pedros said the bearing wasn't seated all the way on the upper arm. Haven't had the time to dissamble yet...good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    What year are we talking? I would check to see if all your bolts are tight but also check the tail end of the chainstay where the linkage bolts together. They have these welded on tabs that have been known to crack. This was the case with my 2001 Dakar Comp.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    i think it an 05. it is a red dakar sport. i'll have to check again for cracks because i know they were prone to have that. this bike seriously has no more than 10 off road miles and about 20 road miles on it now. i checked ealier before riding and i can see a little movement down by the hub. (mavic Crossride) but i can still grab ahold of the stays and get some movement.... its not bad, not at all noticeable when riding, but maybe i am asking too much.... do some of the other brands have any slight play?? i have quite a few friends with titus' and next time i am at the trails i am going to see if they compare

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Comparing a Titus to a Jamis will only annoy you........

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    not as bad as you, and the pathetic attempt at an insult

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What...did this little fit carry over from another thread, kiddo's?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    nah... never seen that guy before.... look at the post count.. plus it gets old having to hear people either on here or at local trails try to belittle me or someone else for not having a boutique brand bike that is uber-rare/ expensive.
    however i think i am going to try to sell my frame and get the dakar XC pro frame and build one of those. i am not into real big drops.... 3 feet if im feeling crazy....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    oh, i'm not belittling anyone. I have more than one Jamis and have been quite happy with them. Its just that you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jpelaston
    nah... never seen that guy before.... look at the post count...
    Oh yeah...I didn't pick up on that.

(you said uber, hehe)

Nortex...with Jamis, you get more than what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    sorry if i came off as being rude, i was just frustrated after a long day in sales with no sales.. i am really happy so far with my jamis. I am going to try to save and get the XC pro frame instead of the dakar sport.. kinda fits my style a little better... plus my sport is a 19" and i really should be on a 17 at the largest