Thread: Dakar rebuild

mtbr member
    May 2005

Dakar rebuild

The head tube of my wife's 2005 Dakar developed two cracks over the last year. Jamis replaced the frame and I finished building it up last week. The fork and a few parts were upgraded previously and I took this opportunity to put on a derailleur and bar from my parts box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchit
    The head tube of my wife's 2005 Dakar developed two cracks over the last year.
    Do you have pictures of the cracks? I'm curious because this is the first time I've heard of cracked head tubes on the Dakar.

Karl

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll take some pictures tonight and post them.

Former Bike Wrench
    Jamis sent you a new frame w/o you having to send the old one back?

That's a new one

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's how the story goes. The original frame was the ano red Dakar Sport, which she never liked. At the time she bought it, last spring, it was a last-year model and very discounted. The price was too good to pass up.

Several weeks ago I noticed a small crack coming up from the bottom of the headtube so I called the shop and took it in. The kid at the shop found a second crack coming down from the top. I figured this was a good opportunity to get her a frame color she likes (the red didn't go with any of her biking outfits...embarrassing). Jamis wanted the serial number from the frame and pics of the cracks, after which they sent a replacement to the shop. The frame they sent was the current base Dakar which is black and gray. The shop still had a 13" 2005 Dakar hanging on the wall which my wife loved. The pretty blue you see above. I don't know where it was a year ago. I talked the shop owner into moving the parts from that frame to the warranty replacement frame and giving me the blue one to build up myself.

So today she has a "new" 2005 base Dakar frame with the wheels, brakes, tires, crank, shifters and stem from the 05 Sport. Most everything else has been upgraded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchit

Several weeks ago I noticed a small crack coming up from the bottom of the headtube so I called the shop and took it in. The kid at the shop found a second crack coming down from the top.

very similar thing happened with mine ('03), I noticed the HT was split at the lower cup, took it to the shop, shop kid noticed the top was cracked at the same place. Jamis wanted pictures, AFIK never had the shop send them the frame. Replaced it with a '06.

Now I'm wondering if this is common enough that Jamis expects it. They where awesome with warranty though; the shop I bought it from wasn't a Jamis dealer anymore, but Jamis still let them handle it (good because I didn't have the receipt).

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    So the cracks were coming from the top and bottom of the headtube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    So the cracks were coming from the top and bottom of the headtube?

on mine, yes. Weird because I hadn't ridden it in months when I noticed it. It looked like someone tried to shove a headset into a frame that hadn't been reamed. My current theory is the HT contracted more than the headset when sitting out in the cold garage all winter.

did you get those derailleur hangers?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    on mine, yes. Weird because I hadn't ridden it in months when I noticed it. It looked like someone tried to shove a headset into a frame that hadn't been reamed. My current theory is the HT contracted more than the headset when sitting out in the cold garage all winter.

did you get those derailleur hangers?
    I've got some creaking noises that I worry are a cracked frame. If it is, I hope Jamis is good to me on it.

I got those hangers yesterday and sent you a PM this morning. Thanks again.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I found a crack in my headtube Wednesday night. I'm trying to find my receipt for warranty replacement. We'll see how it goes.