mtbr member

Dakar BB question.....

Hello all. I just purchased a brand spanking new 06 Dakar XC Expert frame. I am wandering the width size of the bottom bracket. Also, I haven't found anything about the durability of the rear carbon seatstays. Can somebody enlighten a Jamis Expert newbie?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't know what size BB you have, I would guess 68mm but a guess doesn't really help you. As far as carbon fiber in general goes, it is extremely strong and durable, stronger than many metals. Unfortunately it is not as impact resistant as most metals. A bad gouge from an impact can cause it to delaminate and then much of its strength will be lost. So just don't smack your seat stays against anything and it will be okay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    I don't know what size BB you have, I would guess 68mm but a guess doesn't really help you. As far as carbon fiber in general goes, it is extremely strong and durable, stronger than many metals. Unfortunately it is not as impact resistant as most metals. A bad gouge from an impact can cause it to delaminate and then much of its strength will be lost. So just don't smack your seat stays against anything and it will be okay.
    I am aware that it is 68mm, I just don't know the width. The general consensus on carbon fiber is that it is strong, that I do know, but I just wanted to know how the Dakar seatstays hold up on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Since you are not talking about the BB shell width, I would suggest that the spindle length will be dependent on the crankset you plan on installing. As far as the CF stays, I try to keep up with this forum and I do not recall reading of anyone's having trouble with the stays. That being said, CF is CF and you better be aware of its pluses and minuses and live life accordingly.