mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Custom wheels or Easton HAVOCS.....

Hey guys, help me out here. It's either the Easton's or custom Mavic XM317 W/ Hope Pro 2 hubs. I do light AM riding but I want a rim that can fit my 2.35 tires and these Mavic rims were the lightest AM rims that I can find. I think I'm going to go with Universal to build them if I go this route. What do you guys think. I know these are the rims this bike comes with but I don't feel like just changing the hubs on my stock wheels. I don't think it's a good idea.
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

mtbr member
    if u have money for the havocs go with those. my shop got a new sample pair in. originally $780 but the sample price is $450! i am hoping no ones snatches them off. i get 40 percent of that price
    i need a god damn seat post!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've never been a fan of 24 spoke wheels on an aggressive "AM" style of riding. I also don't feel that a mass produced "factory made" wheelset is anywhere close to being as strong as a properly hand built wheel. I don't like the Mavic x317s either. If you can swing it...go with a better rim.

I guess it really depends on your own definition of "All Mountain". If you're really just riding trails all day and not really jumping anything or hitting much for rocks...then the x317 should be fine. If you're hitting rock gardens and jumping/small drops, then I'd try not to be quite so concerned about the rim weight. You need strength.

I went with Hope Pro II's and DT Swiss EX5.1d rims for my All Mountain rig. Sure, they do weigh 500g each, but that's not bad compared to something like a Sun Singletrack or MTX. Granted, it is 105g heavier than the x317 but it will handle some abuse and it's much wider for my 2.35" Nevegal's.

So it's really just a toss-up whether you want an XC AM bike or an Aggressive AM bike. Wheel choice is very important. I would steer clear the 24 spoke wheels for anything but XC though. (unless you're getting Mavic ST's, hehe)

The Easton AM Havoc wheelset is in the neighbeehoo of 1875g. You could go with a "Hand built" set of wheels like:

Hope Pro II rear hub 280g
    Hope Pro II front hub 190g
    DT EX5.1d rims 500gx2
    DT Pro Lock Brass nipples 65g
    DT Competition spokes 382g

...and come in at 1975g. That's 100g heavier than the Havoc's, you have a better rim to work with, more spokes = more strength as well as more places to true them if'n they do get knocked out, and most importantly over all you have a Hand Built wheelset= strong.

If you wanted to substitute the EX5.1d rims for a lighter rim, I'd recommend either the DT XR 4.2d cross country rim for lighter XC'ish use (400g) or the X455 for a bit more aggressive use (455g). To me though, it's not worth saving 90g to substitute the EX5.1d for the x455's.

Just my $0.02