en_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Cross Country 2.0 input

I'm just starting out in this sport... still doing research and such. I want to support the LBS, so I went to take a look at what they had yesterday. He has 99% Jamis bikes. He suggested that my girlfriend and I start out on the Jamis Cross Country 2.0. It looked nice, but I don't quite know what I'm looking at either. It also won't break the bank.

It's a hardtail trail bike. Oddly enough, it's categorized under trail and not cross country. Is there much of a difference? Is trail closer to all mountain, or is it pretty much a cross country?

Anyway, my main question is: Does anyone have any input or experience with this bike?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just picked that exact one pictured for my dad a couple of weeks ago. He has never ridden before, since childhood that is, and since I am partial to Jamis I researched this bike and chose it for him.

It will be a great bike for a starter for you and your girlfriend. It is solely a trail bike and not to be confused with a XC or All mountain or anything else. If you tried to use it for other applications such as those, you will soon discover the limitations of this bike. It will handle most XC trails at a moderate pace.

As your skills improve you will recognize the limits of this bike. Keep in mind there is not a one bike does all model out there. You will have fun with this rig, and it is a good choice to introduce you into the world of mountian biking.

But to answer your question. The 2.0 is closer to XC, though it is not XC, than to an all mountain bike.