Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

Cracked Dakar XC Expert pivot

Hi Folks,

Just received my new 19" 2005 Dakar XC Expert frame today. Looks like a very nice frame, and I love the red color. It weighs in at 6 lbs and 6 oz with the shock and seat post clamp.

After inspecting the frame I discovered to my horror this crack in the non-drive side pivot. The crack goes right through the metal to the other side. I'm just wondering if this is something anyone else has encountered on this particular model? To me it looks like a manufacturing problem, probably caused by the pivot bearing being pressed into a slightly undersized hole, perhaps due to paint over spray. I'm concerned that if I get another frame or replacement chain stay that this could happen again, perhaps out on the trail.

Appreciate any experience of thoughts on how best to address this.

Karl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kwarwick; 03-08-2007 at 07:47 PM.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had that very same crack on my 04 dakar xc a couple of years ago. I got it after riding it around Pisgah for a week though. Jamis warrantied it, no problem. Not sure about your situation. You'll have to contact them I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by emmaus28
    I had that very same crack on my 04 dakar xc a couple of years ago. I got it after riding it around Pisgah for a week though. Jamis warrantied it, no problem. Not sure about your situation. You'll have to contact them I suppose.
    My dealer called Jamis and they warranteed it without question. New chain stay is on its way to me. Now if my the Cane Creek ZS-2 head set I bought ever shows up I can actually start the build up of this frame!

Karl

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jamis customer service is top notch in my opinion. Good for you!

I decided to remove my old chain stay while I'm waiting for the replacement and can confirm what I suspected about paint over-spray being the likely cause for the crack.

On the side with the crack the bearing could be pressed out with bare hands. I observed that the approximately half of the diameter of the bearing socket had paint over-spray inside. The bearing on the opposite side has a very notchy feeling, likely due to paint causing the bearing to be over compressed. I can also see a similar hairline crack beginning on this side. I discovered that one of the smaller bearings where the seat stay connects to the chain stay does not rotate freely, and from what I can see there is paint inside that socket too.

Its too bad really, a little more care in the paint process could of avoided all this. Anyone buying one of these frames would be well advised to examine the chain stay pivots for signs of cracks or seized bearings.

Karl
    Last edited by kwarwick; 03-25-2007 at 03:28 PM.