mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Convert an Exile SS into a 1 x 9?

I have an 07 Exile SS (the 26" wheel version, but it would apply to the 29er as well.) So the bike has a slide out RD hanger for the fork ends. I'm wondering how I would be able to set this guy up as a 1 x 9. A couple of questions...

1) Who builds a hub that uses a nutted axle but is also able to take a cassette?

2) If a RD is installed, how would you remove the rear wheel w/o having to disconnect the RD's shift cable (since the RD is connected to the slide in hanger and the hanger is connected to the wheel axle)?

Thx!

-Ken

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

1 x 9

Hey Ken

You can convert you ss into a 1x9 really easy.

Dont worry about having to use a bolt on rear hub, they are out there but you can use a standard QR hub.

You dont have to take the RD cable out to take the rear wheel off.

The QR will go through the slide on DER. hanger. You will unsrew the QR completely and that the hanger out of the drop out. That will let you take the rear wheel out.

Not sure if I am making any sense here but when you see it you will totally understand.

Hope this helps.
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Awsome, thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    FYI-you can convert any Shimano 9 speed rear hub to a solid axle nutted hub for under $20 with a Wheels Mfg cro-mo axle and nuts