mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Can someone tell me what the leverage ratio is on an 01 Dakar frame?

I have an 01 Jamis Dakar Expert frame and I'm just wonding if I need to upgrade to a new frame or upgrade the shock and keep it.

Former Bike Wrench
    Pretty sure those were similar to later Dakar XC frames...3.5 inches of suspension with a 1.5 inch stroke shock...nice low 2.33:1 ratio.

If the frame is in good condition otherwise...I'd throw a nice stable platform shock on it and ride, ride, ride!

Pretty sure it'd run a 6.5 x 1.5 shock

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanx for the info. I think I'll do that...

since I already bought a new front fork and the frame is still in good condition. A new rear shock should give it some new life. Any suggetions on where to shop or what to buy for a 200+ rider?

Former Bike Wrench
    Well, you could go air, but look for something with a good volume. I'm currently running an X-Fusion 02 PVA on my Jamis XLT and absolutely love it...way better than a Fox Float R (I weigh 230lbs BTW). But they're hard to find right now in the US.

Another suggestion would be a Cane Creek Cloud Nine...Cane Creek shocks are pretty nice, and they have an exchange program where you can get $100 off a new shock by exchanging your old shock.
    http://www.canecreek.com/fileadmin/c..._2007apr19.pdf

The last potential option would be to have the stock shock (a Fox Vanilla R as I recall) factory tuned by Push Industries. They will completely rebuild it and add platform dampening to it.
    http://www.pushindustries.com/servic...0Coil%20Shocks

Good luck and let me know what you end up doing!

mtbr member
    There are plenty of shock deals out there. Here is one from Santa Cruz for example.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...ac5256161acf14

One thing, I recently upgradedd my rear shock, and I had to order a seperate mounting kit for the Rock Shox I put on there. That was an additional $35 expense. If you stick with Fox Shocks you should be able to re-use the monting pieces already on the bike.

As far a mounting, I think its a 24.0 on one end and 22.2 on the other and 6mm mounting bolts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good info. I've got an 06 Dakar and it too is the 6.5 x 1.5 version with 22mm and 24mm w/ 6 mm bolts. I was thinking of going to the CC9 myself but want something for the road or hardpack and the ability to reach down, flip a lever and be ready for the suspension to do it's thing too. RP23 is nice but PUSH wants way too much and buying a used shock from someone doesn't interest me. So I save my lunch money and wait. Good luck and keep us posted.