banned

Broken Seat Stay?

I just bought a Dakar XC Expert online new two weeks ago. I rode last night and noticed some play on the rear wheel/triangle are. When I looked closely, I noticed the seat stay was broken at the bearing area. By the time I got down from the trail, it had opened up almost completely. Since I bought the bike online, I'm wondering if I go to a LBS or have to go through online store for warranty claim. Also, after only 4 rides, how'd this thing break? I weigh 190 lbs. and did no real jumps overly push the bike (just getting back in shape after all). Anyone have any experience with this or advise. I need to get back on the trail!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yikes! No advice here but after replacing my bellcrank recently and adding a new RS MC 3.3 rear shock, the noodley-ness of the back end of this bike(2006 Dakar) is still present. Your post makes me want to go over my entire bike with a magnifying glass when I get it washed and cleaned up. Yikes!
    I hope to see some more discussion on your situation. Good luck.

banned
    Yikes is right. I just came back from the lbs and they want me to leave the bike and charge me shipping for the part, and labor to install. It's going to run me around $150 after four rides. I did get a response from Craig at Jamis (after sending an email this moring, nice turn around!) and he directed me to Jamis warranty. I'm hopeful this will get resolved quick, but not real confident. It sure looks ugly doesn't it?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Contact the store you bought it from. Also call Jamis and ask for Ken.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Flankerdog
    I just bought a Dakar XC Expert online new two weeks ago. I rode last night and noticed some play on the rear wheel/triangle are. When I looked closely, I noticed the seat stay was broken at the bearing area. By the time I got down from the trail, it had opened up almost completely. Since I bought the bike online, I'm wondering if I go to a LBS or have to go through online store for warranty claim. Also, after only 4 rides, how'd this thing break? I weigh 190 lbs. and did no real jumps overly push the bike (just getting back in shape after all). Anyone have any experience with this or advise. I need to get back on the trail!
    Yeap, seems to be a defect that has occurred on a few of the 2005 Dakars. See: Cracked Dakar XC Expert pivot for my experience.

Karl

banned
    Great information. I'll update on Jamis customer service as it develops. Glad to hear I'm not the anomaly (actually not so glad as I want to ride in the morning). Thanks for the replies, you'll get more status as I do. Right now, biting my fingernails...

banned
    Just got the replacement chainstay yeterday, will replace tonight, back on the trail tomorrow. I sent Craig from Jamis an email (got his adress on another thread), he directed me to Dru the Warranty Guy, and they sent me the replacement right away. Kudos Jamis, fast reply, great service! I just hope this on doesn't break also...

Anyway, all is right with the universe again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's a load of crap. (your LBS) They should take care of you better than that. They should eat the labor and shipping or make Jamis pick up the tab. It's not your fault unless you decided to go jumping or do drops on an XC bike.

Glad to hear they're hooking you up so quickly!

Cheers

Edit: I missed the part about you getting it on line...not your LBS's responsibility. Still glad to hear you're getting fixed up soon.