Australia = phun
    Sep 2010

Broken Jamis Parker III

Yup, the inevitable happened...
    I was riding on about 2km/h (yes, 1.2 mph) and braked with my rear. Snap.
    I am too disappointed with everything to say anything. Hope Jamis is faithful...
    Just wondering - do I get a new chainstay, my money back, or nothing? How long does the warranty process take?
    This is extremely disappointing, as I weigh 110 pounds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Prob a chainstay.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

What?
    Didnt you find a crack in it a few months back?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hopefully they get you sorted quicky. I had a frame warrantied and they were very fast. Notified them Monday night, had a frame by noon on Wednesday.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Unfortunately, since it was bought with cash (brand new), there is no proof of purchase so I can't get warranty. And since I live in Australia (which makes things a **** lot harder, the prices tend to be around 1.2 times as much as you guys have it, so I'm looking at paying 200-300. Been looking at 'how to make money online' lately. School's preventing heaps, but.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just had this same thing happen about 6 months ago. Mine was under warranty because I bought it from jensonusa.com and it happened like 2 months after I bought the bike brand new. The rear brake had a horrible vibrating problem from the very beginning so I think it had a crack.

If I were you I would call Jamis or even JensonUSA and see if they can order you a chainstay. Since I got the new chainstay I have had no problems whatsoever. Really plead your case and maybe they will help you out for having shitty quality control. It's pretty dangerous honestly. I was (sort of) landing a 360 when mine broke. I freaking love the bike but the chainstay issue does really suck.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, but I don't want to get flamed at for trying to get a free chainstay off them. Anyway how to do a persuasive letter ? I'd like some knowhow...

Kinda wish I lived in the US.

Anyways, anyone wanna chip in 200 bucks for a 2008 chainstay? Man, I'm peeved. It'll just break again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well if it were me I would call Jamis and say that this is a really dangerous problem and tell them about how many cases of this there have been (even though I'm sure they know). I personally think you have every right to ask for a free chainstay unless you broke it by doing 10 foot drops while deathgripping you brake lever. To keep their integrity as a company they should stand by their product if it's defective. Now if it was 5 years old or something, maybe not, but that' my opinion.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    It's been 4 years now. Only been in service for a year.
    I have PM'd Jamis, and also BicyclePhD who has been quite co-operative for some time, for the reasons outlined by jwillsaylor.

jwillsaylor, what year did you break yours?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, that might be a little tougher. I just blew my mind for it to break that easy considering it's marketed as a burly can-take-the-hits kind of bike.

Mine is a 2010 model, the last production year. Bought it in March-ish of 2011, broke it October-ish of 2011.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Are you joking? 2010 models are supposed to be invincible...
    That means that the 09's and the 010's are breakable too...
    I regret that I bought a Parker. Sorry to say, but it's now official(for me.)

What?
    There is no such thing as invincible. All frames from all manufactures can break. The 09' and 10' frames are much better then the 08's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, all frames can definitely break. And the 09s and 10s are definitely better. AND mine had a crack or weak spot in it from the moment I got it. The rear brake had a horrible vibration. I thought it was the rear brake or maybe the IS adapter. When it broke I then googled it and realized what the deal was.

I was landing a 360 while holding the brake (magura louise, so it was a strong grab). That is a lot of force... AND since I got my new chainstay I still beat the hell out of the bike... no problems whatsoever.

Bottom line, I personally would buy a parker again in a heartbeat. For the money, you can't beat it. You also have a good chance of getting a perfectly strong chainstay. Even if you had to pay for 2 new chainstays over a few years I might even say it's still worth a $1250 pice brand new. Though it sucks and is really annoying, it just comes with the trade that ****'s gonna break on you.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Oh, that's really good. I don't really have a good perspective on how full suspension ride (this is my first bike with a fork that can actually compress).

And invincible - I meant that as a figure of speech. I'm not that dumb to think that a frame is 'invincible', literally.

And, thanks to the advice of jwillsaylor, I e-mailed Jamis with a complaint.
    The reply, which sounded really generic, but helpful, read:

Caleb,
    Thank you for your inquiry to JAMIS BICYCLES dated March 24, 2012 regarding the issue that you have had with the chain stay of your Parker. We would suggest contacting your distributor below for further assistance with attaining warranty support. We do feel that you should be covered and will be happy to provide support upon request from our distributor in Australia. We hope to get you back on the trail enjoying the fun exciting Parker this season and if you have any other questions feel free to contact us again.

Yours very truly,

JAMIS SUPPORT

My email:
    Dear Jamis Bicycles,
    I am writing regarding the Jamis Parker that had a broken chainstay from applying the rear brake at a speed of 1 mph. As the bike was paid for in cash, there was no proof of purchase obtainable to be presented to my LBS. The LBS refuses to give me warranty. I personally believe that Jamis should give me some sort of compensation for my broken chainstay, as it had the potential to turn into a very dangerous accident. Other companies stand behind their bikes and recall if needed. If Jamis doesn't do anything about, it would have lost at least one otherwise happy customer.

Yours sincerely,
    Caleb Kim

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That sounds reassuring. Hear any new info from them?

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    No. I will ring my LBS and inform them.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010

Jamis is officially awesome!

The message arrived yesterday.

Caleb,
    We will be happy to send the stay directly to Adventure Brands so they can provide to you. We have an order pending with them and will throw it in.

Caleb,
    We will provide you with a 2010 chain stay. I just put the order in. It will ship to Adventure Brands [my lbs] on Monday.

Call me naive and volatile, but any hard feelings have evaporated to give way to admiration.

What?
    Thats great! But the 2010 chain stay has a through axle so you will need a new hub or wheel set now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Thats great! But the 2010 chain stay has a through axle so you will need a new hub or wheel set now.
    hes got a parker remember, not a xam.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00 View Post
    hes got a parker remember, not a xam.
    Ahh good call, I had it backwards in my head

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Thanks-I had a big fright. I can't afford that sort of money.

I wonder how to approach my lbs on convincing them that Jamis really did e-mail me, not me just making it up...

Thanks guys, you're all awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thats great news man!!! I have a similar fear as I paid cash for mine. Its registered in my name but I dont have a recipte so if I break it I am not sure what would happen. Glad to know they will probably still replace it.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    At least you're in a better position than I am - I didn't get it registered.

I've been waiting for a chainstay for about 5 weeks now but its better than paying 300 bucks. I'm happy - my distributor in Australia has posted it to my LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    At least you have something comming for you. I love my bike to death but having that fear of it break worries me.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    I got the chainstay. It's black, and it has some differences to the 08.
    Is $75 charged by the lbs too much to pay to install a new chainstay? I thought so.
    Being the idiot I am, I got too overconfident. The bearings pressed in with the vice aren't 100% even, the stay has tiny dents on it, the aluminium hex key screw is shredded, and I've lost a spacer. I've gotten to the part where all the bearings are pressed into the new stay, but it's too late in the day to fix my bike. Reckon I go back to lbs or not? Even if I find the spacer I'll be happy...