mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Which bike to get?

Well the time has come to upgrade my Dakar,and the 2 bikes i'm mostly considering are the Jamis XAM 1.0,and the Kona Coiler.

I like the feel of the Jamis,it fits well,and just feels right.The Coiler wasn't too bad either,and i liked the fact that it had 6" of travel.However now i hear the XAM is going to have 6" also,anyone know what the rear will have? Whats everyone's opinions on these two.TIA

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Carn75
    Well the time has come to upgrade my Dakar,and the 2 bikes i'm mostly considering are the Jamis XAM 1.0,and the Kona Coiler.

I like the feel of the Jamis,it fits well,and just feels right.The Coiler wasn't too bad either,and i liked the fact that it had 6" of travel.However now i hear the XAM is going to have 6" also,anyone know what the rear will have? Whats everyone's opinions on these two.TIA
    The new XAM is going to be a little heavier than the '07. It may be because of the build too. They're going with a Fox 36 instead of 32...that'll add some weight. Rear travel will be pushed up to 6" for '08.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the Kona and wait for the new '08 XAM unless you think you don't need the extra inch of travel and benefits from the 36 with a TA vs. 32

It's a better bike than the Kona and '07 XAM. I personally would do better with the '07 XAM b/c I live in Kansas...though I'd never turn down an extra inch of travel, haha.