mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Which Bike Is The Better Buy

Hi,

I'm looking to get my first full suspension bike. I have found a couple of older models on the internet that are both new. One is an '06 XC Comp for $1300 and the other is an '05 XC expert for $1500. Neither has been used before. Is the rear suspension re-design on the '07 models really that much improved or should I consider one of these?

Also, the only full suspension that I have ridden so far is a Giant NRS. I was amazed at how smooth the rear suspension was. How does the Jamis compare? The main reason I'm upgrading is because I'm tired of being beat to death with the rough ride of the hardtail. Thanks for your help.

Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I do not know anything about the O6 model dakars except that they are supposedly a lb lighter in the frame, which is good since the frames are heavy anyway. That being said I have the 05 Expert and like it alot. It is my first fs so I cannot compare to any other fs. Keep in mind the parts spec on both and also the fact that you really doing have a bottle cage that can be utilized on the 06. Hope I was of some help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The last few years have had some issues cracking in the rear link. If you are riding a larger bike it is more of an issue. If you are riding a 17" or smaller you should be OK if you are riding in hardtail type conditions.

Former Bike Wrench
    If you were amazed at how smooth a Giant NRS rode, prepare to be blown out of the water with a Jamis. Not because the Jamis is the smoothest (though its pretty good) but because the NRS might be the harshest full suspension design I've ever ridden!!!

I like the Fork, Wheelset, Crankset, and Pedals better on the '05 Dakar XC Expert but I like the Shifters, Derailluers, and Brakes waybetter on the '06 Dakar XC Comp and could care less about the carbon seatstays on the '05.

For my money I'd take the '06 XC Comp and use the $200 on a wheelset upgrade (something lighter).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Since I'd be buying it sight unseen, would a 19" frame be correct for my height? (5'10"-5'11")

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would stay away from a frame that big.I'm 5'10" and usually ride a 16-17" frame.If i'm riding a DH bike i'll even go to a 15"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 5'10" and would ride a 19" Trek Fuel, Fisher Cake, Giant Trance, etc. I ride a 17" Jamis, though, The high standover would be a killer on a 19" with a 32" inseam.