Phil

Anyone own an Exile I??

I did a search and can't seem to find much on this model. I like the geometry of it. ( have shorter legs) Anyone who rides one, what input can you give me? I'm looking between this and a Cannondale SL 4 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Almost owned one, Exile II

I rode one at the local bike shop and liked it very much, but wanted hydro brakes, and better drive line, better shock, better seat post and for 200 more dollars it was easy to decide to bump it up a little. I'm very happy with my Exile II, the III had even better parts but had less gearing, and sense I was just starting out, I knew my legs didn't have the power to get me up the hills so I needed lower gears to do that. Also if you get the Exile II it comes with the tora shock and you can get pop lock for it with motion control, also the shock can be adjusted from 80mm, 100mm and 120mm, by taking the preload part out and adjusting the aluminum rod position. You can see my bike on this forum under Exile II.
    I hope this helped.

Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy0000
    I rode one at the local bike shop and liked it very much, but wanted hydro brakes, and better drive line, better shock, better seat post and for 200 more dollars it was easy to decide to bump it up a little. I'm very happy with my Exile II, the III had even better parts but had less gearing, and sense I was just starting out, I knew my legs didn't have the power to get me up the hills so I needed lower gears to do that. Also if you get the Exile II it comes with the tora shock and you can get pop lock for it with motion control, also the shock can be adjusted from 80mm, 100mm and 120mm, by taking the preload part out and adjusting the aluminum rod position. You can see my bike on this forum under Exile II.
    I hope this helped.
    I ended up doing the same thing. After weighing my options, I decided to spend the little extra money based on the 9speed, brakes, and fork. Now I just need to replace the spring in the Tora for my big @$$.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by asuprice
    I did a search and can't seem to find much on this model. I like the geometry of it. ( have shorter legs) Anyone who rides one, what input can you give me? I'm looking between this and a Cannondale SL 4 29er
    I've had mine for less than a month. I've got around 50miles on it so far. I'd like to have more, but the weather has been terrible.

Anyway, I like it a lot. Granted this is my first entry into a MTB and first bike overall in 10 years. It rides a little rough on chatter bumps, but it rolls pretty smooth on pretty much everything else. The 19" frame fits me well (6'2") and I've had a blast riding it so far. As I get more acclimated and put more miles on it I'm sure I'll find little faults, but for right now I'm pretty satisfied.

I thought about the Exile II, but decided I'd beat the hell out of this one and reward myself with a more expensive bike. Got this one for $660 after taxes.