Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone heard anything about the Jamis Dakar XCR 29 Pro?

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  potreropaul 
#1 ·
I'm taking a serious look at this guy and I wanted to hear anyone's impressions. Reviews are nearly non-existent out there on the interweb. It looks like it could be a serious competitor to the Superfly 100 or S-Works Epic. Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
^^ The Tallboy is made of 100% high-modulus carbon fiber. So is the Scott Spark 29, which at $3,000 the frame comes with a seatpost and lockout mechanism. Jamis is supposed to be a value oriented brand, but the cost of this frame is way more than other brands...

#6 · (Edited)
Where did you find the info on the type of carbon used in the tallboy? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

edit:

Did some more searching and found a single blog post from santa cruz saying that they were now using a "higher modulus" carbon but there was no claim that it was a full high modulus frame or that any high modulus carbon was used. If the Tallboy is just a basic low modulus carbon that would make up the difference entirely as the raw material cost for high modulus is 3-4 times that of low modulus.

I am pretty sure Jamis only uses name brand Japanese carbon fiber in their bikes as well instead of generic chinese carbon fiber.

#7 ·
I read in a review posted on gear.com, the author went to interbike and reported on the tallboy. The light weight of the Tallboy is well known, so is the quality of its carbon fiber.

Interbike 2009: Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er Quick Review - GEAR.com

Even with high modulus carbon fiber, the Jamis frame is very expensive. At $3500, this frame isn't just $1000 more than the Santa Cruz Tallboy; its $500 more than the Scott Spark, its also $300 more than the Giant Anthem X, the list goes on. Jamis is normally an affordable brand, but not with this frame.

#10 ·
dakar 29 pro

I just got mine, and it looks and feels great! It's a 17" and is 26lbs with SPDs. The suspension was easy to set up, the brakes work well (and are quiet).
I'm running the Geax Mezcals at about 28psi with tubes (tubeless to come soon). I'm 5'9", with a 32" inseam, and the bike fits me well 'out-of-the-box'. I can get a large bottle in the cage too!
So far, so sweet :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.