love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007

anybody have problems with the front derailleur cable on 2005 Dakar XCs?

I'm building up a 2005 XC Pro I just picked up off eBay and noticed the lowest cable stop on the front derailleur cable is unusually low, which creates a pretty hefty bend where the cable goes over to the derailleur. Looking through these photos as well as Jamis's website I see Jamis had the cable stop higher on 2003 and 2004 frames, dropped it down on the 2005s, and then promptly moved it back up for 2006. That tells me I should watch out for wear in this part of the drivetrain, but I'm curious if there's a significant problem in practice. Anybody run into trouble here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    That does look very low, but what size is your frame? Definitely higher on my 19" 2005 XC Expert. The stop is actually hidden by the seat stays if you view it from the side.

Karl

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    It's a 15 inch frame. A travel check shows the cable stop needs to sit below the seatstays near bottoming out in order to not to hit the carbon, but there's about 10mm between the top of the stop and the bottom of the stay at zero travel and something like 20mm at full compression. The stop could easily be half an inch higher up; maybe the dude with the brazing torch wasn't paying attention when the frame was built. There's no way to put the cable stop above the stay the way Jamis does with the 2007 XCR frames since the cable would have to run through the stay.

Derailleur seems to shift fine anyway (the extra leverage over a pod shifter of upshifting with the brake lever makes it hard for me to tell; I'm used to pods), but I can't give it a proper test at the moment since I don't have the bars for the bike yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Can you put a low clamp front dérailleur on it?

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Looks like an M952 or 970 would be pretty tight. Hard to say without mounting one up and seeing if it clears the chainstays throughout the travel, but I would think Jamis would have speced a top swing if it fit. Interesting idea, but having just shelled out for the bike I'm not in a hurry to spend another $90 to try to fix something which may not even be a problem. That said, my other bike is also a 31.8 clamp and I've been annoyed with the performance of the top swing LX derailleur on it for years, so I wouldn't be adverse to trying out a top swing if there is an issue. Worst that would happen is I'd end up upgrading the old LX.