mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Advice on purchase of 1999 Jamis Dakar Expert

Hello to all.I have been lurking and reading on mtbr for several weeks, trying to get a feel for the experiences of the owners of the various brands of bikes. I already have a hardtail, but I want to try an FS in the hopes that the ride may be easier on my back. I would rather buy a well cared for used bike as opposed to a new one since my budget really won't permit me to spend what a new one would cost. I have found a 1999 Jamis Dakar Expert for sale by its original purchaser that looks to be in 95% or better condition. I was able to find some reviews of this year and model, and the reviews were mostly favorable. I read through most of the Jamis threads and while I am not too familiar with the brand, Jamis does seem to make a good product.

My concern is that this bike is close to 10 years old, and whether I might run into parts issues with the frame-pivots, etc.- in the event that I ever had any problems in that area. I would like to know from others whether or not frame parts would be an issue. Also, were there any problems with the 1999 year that I should be aware of. I did do several searches, but never found any real issues. So, past and present owners if you have any words of wisdom for me I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Oh, I almost forgot...the owner wants $500 for the bike. This price, considering the condition, does not seem out of line to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Check some of these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Jamis-Dakar...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jamis-Dakar-XC-C...QQcmdZViewItem

The second is a sweet ride just needs mountain bike tires.

I don't think i would go with something over 5 years old and 500 is a little pricey.

I have a jamis model like these, just trying to give you an idea of what these are going for used.

mtbr member
    I do think $500 for the 1999 is too much. Probably more along the lines of $350.

I had a 1998 Dakar Expert which I sold last year for $450. The bike however was in perfect condition and had many upgraded components from the mid 2000s. My bike also had brand new crank, cassette, chain and tires. I also had recently rebuilt the fork.

What kills you is the frame is so old. Now the good news is that Jamis continues to make that Jamis Dakar frame even today for the low end dual suspension bike. On my 1998 Jamis, I was able to get replacement pivot parts for it in 2005, so I think they do make parts available for older frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for all the information. I have pretty much decided to spend a bit more and take my time and build me up a FS bike over the winter. Thanks again for the info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good call. Keep us posted with what you get.