mtbr member
    Mar 2007

6' tall, not sure whether to buy the 17" or 19" Dakota

Hey, I'd like to buy a Jamis Dakota this weekend. There aren't really any dealers near me, so I'm considering an internet purchase. I'm a 6' tall person, with a 33.5 inseam. I'm really not sure whether the 17" or 19" suits me best. Normally, I would consider the 17" a bit small, but the 31" standover height on the 19" frame has me a little nervous. That leaves only 2.5" of clearance.

I recognize, that top tube length is a more accurate measurement, but I can't really test the bikes out to get a feel for the cockpit. I did the wrenchscience fit calculator, and here's what I got:

Handlebar Width: 42
    wrench science
    Overall Reach: 65.60cm(this is supposed to be total length in cm of top tube and stem)
    wrench science
    Frame Size: 18 / 19
    wrench science
    Recommended Saddle Height: 75.13

So, it sounds like the 19" suits me best. But the stem is 120mm(12cm). If I subtract that from the overall reach mentioned above, that leaves in inches around 22". And that correlates more with the top tube length of the 17".

I'm totally confused. I guess the thing that makes me weary of the 19", is that the standover height is a good inch higher than comparable 19" gary fishers, treks, etc...

What do you guys think? I recognize buying a bike online isn't the wisest move. But I really like the quality of Jamis bikes. They were quite common in my old place of residence(Colorado).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    JensonUSA?

Yeah, I'd go 19".

The reason the Fisher has more standover clearance is b/c the seat tube extends about 1-2" above the top tube. The top tube is welded lower. Sure it gives you more standover clearance, but I feel that they're weaker b/c of it. I broke the seat mast off my Fisher right in that area. If it was welded higher, it wouldn't have broken. Granted, the frame has a lifetime warranty, but as soon as I got the new replacement frame...I sold it.

To tell ya honestly, I don't even pay attention to stand over clearance. It only matters when you have to put your feet down during technical sections...which I don't do. I ride a 19" Dakar XLT on trails with rocky/rooty technical climbs and descents...and I'm 6'1.5". I also have a 22" rigid Raleigh beater that I ride in the muddy/mucky weather on the same trails. I should technically be riding with lower standover height during the muddy weather b/c there's more chance that I'll need to dab a foot during a tech. climb/descent. I will admit that the Raleigh is waaaaaaaaaaay too big for me, but the shorter stem on it makes it comfortable enough for a bike that was given to me for free. The seat is not too high either, so the only thing that makes the Raleigh too big is the standover clearance.

If you're confident on the trail, then don't worry too much about the standover height. If you're a MTB Noob and have to dab alot...you may want to consider a different frame that is of adequate size (18-18.5"), but gives you a little more "room fo da nutz".

If I were you...I'd just get the 19", change to a 105mm stem and ride the livin, lovin' heck outta the thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the bike from Jenson, the elite model. I'm not a newb, but I'm not that technically talented either. I'm the occasionaly weekend warrior type, and recently have gotten into adventure races.

To be honest, my current bike was always a crappy climber. I was hoping a better bike, with better geometry would make me a better climber. I went with the 19". The nads may suffer a bit, but hey, all the more motivation to improve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's an awesome bike!

I've been considering ebaying some stuff to be able to get that thing. It would be a much better bike to ride my local trails than my XLT due to all of the climbing. Pic's when ya get it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I will definitely try and post some pics when I get it.