Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Jamis?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2013 Jamis?

Any news? Keeping the Komodo, I hope?
    All mountain wagon wheels or b's?

Sent from my daggum phone because I have no life.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

What?
    I saw a copy of a leaked 2013 catalog at the shop I work at. Jamis claimed it was the European catalog and that is differs slightly from the North American version.

Key things I took note of:

The Komodo was still in it with no noticeable changes from last year other then color.

AMT was identical.

Dragon 9r was not speced as well as the 2012 version. Biggest difference is they dropped the Manitou Tower for a Rock Shox xc 32 tk(big downgrade) on the Dragon sport

Dragon 650b was similar to last year. Paint was purple and looked interesting.

No noticeable difference on the Nemesis.

The BAM was not listed in the catalog at all.

I didnt really look at the XCT or XCR line ups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well I don't know if Jamis R&D reads this board anymore, but IMO the Komodo is the best bike they've ever produced. I know 26 ers are a dying breed, but the Komodo has outlived many of my other builds.

I'm going to build a new gen. Mine is a gen 3 2005 (first year as a freeride hardtail) and it's been very versatile. From 34# FRHT to 26#XC'r to 32#FRHT finally to the 29.5#AMHT it is today. It can do anything very well.

IMO...for the varied type of aggressive riding that I do (XC to DJ all in one ride) it's very capable.
    Last edited by chelboed; 07-26-2012 at 12:46 AM.

What?
    I dont think you have to worry about 26'' wheels disappearing anytime soon. I would actually be surprised if they disappear at all. Lots of people do not like the feel of 9r's and 650b is taking a long time to catch on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No sliding drops on the 650B Dragon?
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Uphill? What's that
    The bam is probably not listed because the build quality has been sub par. The local resort that I ride at had 15 bam'slast year. Everyone of the frames have broken. The replacement parts that Jamis sent them have even broke. The welds on the front triangle are bad, the welds where inspected by a local welder and he said that the welds broke on the front triangle because the welds did not penetrate the aluminum. The rear triangles that have broken all broke in the same area. When Jamis was contacted about the problem they said they knew about it but they would not send new parts until the parts broke.. That's just bad.

mtbr member
    Interesting to hear about the '13 Dragon Sport. Glad I snagged my '12, the LBS seemed concerned they might be out of them when I was ordering it, though they weren't.

What?
    Jamis had a hard time keeping up with demand this year. The shop I work at had a hard time get a hold of a lot of the middle grade bikes they make. Hopefully they ramp up production next year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is it just me, or the quality of the bikes seem to be deteriorating? Didn't Jamis used to be a killer brand with great spec/quality/price?

And I agree with chelboed. Hope they keep it, but I like the idea of the bike being more of a AM hardtail than a low end dj.
    My account had previous problems that lasted over 6 months. I couldn't post, etc. This is my new account.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I agree. The image of the 2005 Komodo in the 2005 .pdf os perfect. 150mm travel fork. 2.3” meats. Love it. I'd still build a new gen into am AMHT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I also wonder who built the XLT, Parker, BAM, etc...

The Komodo has done nothing but stellar since it's inception. I've only heard of one single frame breaking. I never saw it...just a forum post. I still assume that the Komodo is built by Kinesis.

I wonder who takes on their duallies that have had QC issues. (BTW...my Parker is still running strong) I also wonder if it's just hack riding and annoying complainers versus the silent Yeti owners that are too embarrassed to admit their illustrious 8k bike broke...thus the warranty is handled in the shadows, lol.

If I were going to be tempted to buy another complete bike, it would have to be an AMHT. Possibly a 650 loosely based on the feel of the komodo. That would be baller.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Jamis Quality

Jamis had a mtn designer that sold the idea to lighten it all up and when they started to break he took off. The new designer's work really made these bikes sing with plenty of rigidity. 2011 improvements have been seen in the field across the board.

PS: i am pretty sure the Komodo is still around

What?
    Ok, I saw the north American catalog and I didn't see anything different from the European. so my first post is accurate.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

missed that first post

Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Ok, I saw the north American catalog and I didn't see anything different from the European. so my first post is accurate.
    You got it right.

The XCR 26 is out
    The XCR 29 has 5 models, 2 carbon
    the XCT 26 is gone....replaced by the XCT 650B (basically the 650B from 2012 with a new top tube.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickt30 View Post
    You got it right.

The XCR 26 is out
    The XCR 29 has 5 models, 2 carbon
    the XCT 26 is gone....replaced by the XCT 650B (basically the 650B from 2012 with a new top tube.
    Interesting. If I am thinking correctly, that means the only 26'' bikes left in the lineup would be the Komodo and the AMT. Now I am starting to wonder if Jamis is going to be the first company to take 26'' wheels out of there line up. I hope not, I think it would be a big mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim1 View Post
    Is it just me, or the quality of the bikes seem to be deteriorating? Didn't Jamis used to be a killer brand with great spec/quality/price?
    Not just Jamis, but I've noticed "shortcuts" with quality and cheaper components but HIGHER prices everywhere. I've started bike shopping recently and have had sticker shock. It used to be that you could get an amazingly nice bike with full XT and good a fork and wheels for under $2k. Now you need to spend $3k+ for that. And Jamis used to be the "go to" bike company for the best value, not sure if it's really that way anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Blame it on the oil prices.

Economy sucks.

mtbr member
    Its too bad bike prices aren't going the same direction as electronics prices. *thinks of 42" LCD TV in living room, that was $2k 5 years ago* But, unfortunately technological advances can't shave off cost in mechanical items like they can in electronics, especially with the cost of raw materials and labor going up.

That being said, my '12 Dragon Sport is a very nicely made and finished bike in my opinion, but at a much higher cost than the same would have been in the early '00s when I worked at a local bike shop. A nice chromoly framed bike in 2000 with similar componentry of the day would have gone for $900.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any new-news when the '13s will officially be announced? Very interested to see the new lineup.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Economies of scale. Flat screen panels are produced in greater volumes so the unit cost is less. The lcd/led display itself is the expensive bit and many competing brands source from the same suppliers, which is why for example, everyone but lg uses 3d panels that are active displays and need powereed goggles that coincidently work with one anothers tvs.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
    Its too bad bike prices aren't going the same direction as electronics prices. *thinks of 42" LCD TV in living room, that was $2k 5 years ago* But, unfortunately technological advances can't shave off cost in mechanical items like they can in electronics, especially with the cost of raw materials and labor going up.

That being said, my '12 Dragon Sport is a very nicely made and finished bike in my opinion, but at a much higher cost than the same would have been in the early '00s when I worked at a local bike shop. A nice chromoly framed bike in 2000 with similar componentry of the day would have gone for $900.
    I don't work for Jamis but I do work with numbers all day long. Your $900.00 bike from 2000 times an annual average increase of 3.4% equals exactly $1350.00 in 2012... A bargain? Inflation has historically been around 3% each year until recently. Jamis' increase is close to inflation but could be lower.
    I think your feeling exactly what we all are.... We aren't getting that 3% raise at work every year to offset the cost of the things we love. DARN

Columbus, GA
    Wow, that's a shame. It'll probably be my luck that my 2009 XCT 2.0 breaks the frame and they no longer have comparable 26" wheel frames to replace it with.

What?
    Good point..... Beat the S*$% out of it and break it sooner rather then later

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Or... they might give you one of their brand new 650B frames... schweet!!!

On a more serious tone, I'm looking at the bikes on the YouTube clip posted about three weeks ago by Jamis bikes. I can see an unfamiliar HT (George Ryan's riding it aggressive) and it could be another Komodo. Maybe Jamis does prowl the threads looking for feedback! =D

So these are the changes/specs/things that I can notice first off:

1. Tapered headtube. The present komodo has a 1.5 in headtube so this either may be a new model/frame update

2. 160mm rotors. Probably indicating a low spec model.

3. Mech brakes. Looks like tektro IO's =(

4. QR fork and wheelset. Probably a low spec model, again.

5. Straight toptube. Yes!! I disliked the heaps low standover of the 08-12 models.

6. Other than that, I can't really tell any differences between the frame of that model and the 2006 komodo.

Fork looks like a Suntour or some of RST's newer offerings, as what I can see - probably a Blaze or something like that. The quality in the video is really low, despite being in HD.

Oh yeah, the link:

/watch?v=MKxX36O-uCU&feature=plcp

Everything above was just my observations; I may have been wrong (most probably am on at least a few aspects).

One thing I do know is that this is a 2013 model as Jamis doesn't have any 2012 models that look like that.
    My account had previous problems that lasted over 6 months. I couldn't post, etc. This is my new account.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast