Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

2013 Dakar XCT 650b Pro Frame cracked.

I have a 2013 Dakar XCT pro that the weld cracked at the weld where the top tube and seat tube join. Jamis has been awesome and replaced it with a 2014 so I'm happy about that.

The problem is I think it wil probably happen again. The thing is I'm between a L and XL and went with the L. My seat post pretty high, but the minimum insertion mark is inside the frame but barely.

So does anyone know if this is a fluke or has it been an issue with others and whether the 2014 frame has been reinforce in this area. It looks like the exact same frame so I'm thinking no.

Thanks for any help. I hope it's a fluke because I love the bike.

By the way I weigh about 195 with gear.
    2014 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Pro

mtbr member
    tried a longer seat post?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Already using the longest they make. There is plenty post in the seat tube I think.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If it cracks again go with the XL. The taller post height creates a larger moment/load on the frame when you rock back and forth in the seat than if you have a shorter moment arm/post height. I'm between M and L and prefer to ride L with the longer top tube and never had issue with cracking frame @ 220+ lbs. Current ride is carbon XCR Pro 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Actually Jamis wants to swap it out for an XL before it cracks again. Jamis customer service and warranty are by far the best I have ever seen and I've seen many.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Not sure if Jamis is still saying they don't have a problem with that frame but I'm on my third frame already. Same frame as yours and same cracked weld as yours. It has to be something in manufacturing because I know someone else with the same exact bike and no problems what so ever so hopefully you'll get one of the good ones. You're right Jamis does have really good customer service though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I was wondering if others where having problems with this frame, but had a feeling they were. Hopefully this one will be a good one though.

Good luck to you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a 2012 frame crack in the same location. I'm on a 2014 now, hopefully it holds together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I had a 2012 Comp that cracked in the same location seat tube/top tube, replaced with a 2012 pro frame, cracked that one at the chain stay, just got my bike back with the 2014 comp frame as my 3rd replacement. Jamis warranty service has been great (thanks Tim) even more so in the last case as I had wheel compatibility issues going from a 2012 to 2014 frame and they threw in a rear wheel as well saving me $$$$ from not having to buy a new wheel/wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Dan,
    Is there a big difference between yours a d the other guys seat post? Is your higher than the other one? From what I've heard that's the issue with some of them like mine is right at the minimum insertion mark which puts more stress on it. I've been riding a L for 7 years and never had a problem until now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm riding a large frame also and the minimum insertion line is 2" down from the top edge of the seat clamp and the other riders bike is a medium and his seat post measures almost 3 down. I'm right on the m/l border line so I went with the large which I think fits me pretty good so going with XL for you might work out good. I should say the 3 frames I've had have all been L. Definitely think stress has something to do with it if you look at the way the frame bulges out to mount the rear shock just under the top tube it seems like there could be some flexing at the bottom of the seat post in the seat tube. With some luck an XL frame with a long seat post will work for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well the L comes with the longest seat post made so I can't go there. Hopefully the XL will work, but I have to agree with you on stress by looking at the seat tube where the shock connects, but you would think there is enough to avoid the stress. I know if you look at most new full suspension bikes they are reinforced at that well by either another tube running up and flaring the top tube so there is more of a weld.

Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Picked my bike up with an XL frame, but haven't had a chance to ride it. I'll let everyone know how it holds up. Again Jamis warranty and customer service are awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Been riding the XL 2014 frame now without any issues at all. Pretty sure my issue was I just bought the wrong size so all is good now. I'll say it again that Jamis has the best warranty dept and customer service on the planet.

Thank you Jamis,

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute987 View Post
    I had a 2012 frame crack in the same location. I'm on a 2014 now, hopefully it holds together.
    My 2012 cracked a the seat tube/head tube, my 2013 replacement cracked at the chain stay, my 2014 replacement just cracked yesterday at the seat/head tube straight at the weld, I'm sure they will come through quickly with a warranty replacement but this is getting old esp when they all crack through the weld, wondering if the extra triangle welded on the all mountain frame would make a difference.

2013 Dakar XCT 650b Pro Frame cracked.-20140730_165531-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Man that sucks. What kind of riding do you do as far as a lot of rock gardens or jumps. I don't do jumps at all, but do ride some technical single track, but this shouldn't be happening.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling51 View Post
    Man that sucks. What kind of riding do you do as far as a lot of rock gardens or jumps. I don't do jumps at all, but do ride some technical single track, but this shouldn't be happening.

Good luck!

East Coast single track, roots, rocks...not drops, just working on getting my fitness level back to 1990's standards so at 230lbs I am on the heavier side, but I rode specialized for 11yrs at similar or slightly lighter weigh and never had a frame failure....ever.

mtbr member
    You guys be scaring me lol. I picked up a new 2013 XCT Comp 6 weeks ago at one of the LBS's in SLC. Honestly before buying the bike I had not done much research online and spent most of my time visiting shops and doing small rides to get a feel for what was out there these days. In the end it came down to the deal I got on this unsold 2013 XCT Comp along with the specs and how the bike felt. Now with that said I ride five days a week and 2-3 of those are on the trails in the Park City, Heber Valley area of Utah and I am enjoying the heck out of this bike. I am a conservative rider in that I am not a balls to the wall bomber when riding but I do not hold back on what I ride just my speeds. So I will ride this bike and hope it does not crack and if it does it seems that Jamis backs their products.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well here we are again, same bike same crack! What I did after my second frame cracked in the same exact spot I told the nice people at Jamis I wanted it replaced with the team carbon frame and they actually gave me the frame! Best riding bike I've been on in along time, until it cracked at the seat post clamp a week ago. I'm waiting to hear from them (again) to see if they are going to warrantee the frame. I'd rather be riding my bike instead of turning it over to be warrantied every few months, just saying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't know for sure if this is the case, but if you guys are riding the stock crank-brothers seat post it is kind of flexes a lot. If the post if pretty high like mine is and you weigh 190lbs + that could be an issue. I put a Thomson on mine which is also a little longer than the stock post that came on it. Like I said I have had no issues with the new frame and if there were tons of issues then we were here more complaints. They seem to be isolated, but also seem to happening to the same riders over and over again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling51 View Post
    I don't know for sure if this is the case, but if you guys are riding the stock crank-brothers seat post it is kind of flexes a lot. If the post if pretty high like mine is and you weigh 190lbs + that could be an issue. I put a Thomson on mine which is also a little longer than the stock post that came on it. Like I said I have had no issues with the new frame and if there were tons of issues then we were here more complaints. They seem to be isolated, but also seem to happening to the same riders over and over again.
    Nope....I am riding a dropper post that was almost as far down the tube as it would go and I had one other crack through a weld in a chain stay, one other in my shop that I know of through a chain stay as well, all through areas they should not....the welds. Regardless Jamis stands and warrantees all the failures great customer service.

help with the zip please
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan1nine View Post
    Well here we are again, same bike same crack! What I did after my second frame cracked in the same exact spot I told the nice people at Jamis I wanted it replaced with the team carbon frame and they actually gave me the frame! Best riding bike I've been on in along time, until it cracked at the seat post clamp a week ago. I'm waiting to hear from them (again) to see if they are going to warrantee the frame. I'd rather be riding my bike instead of turning it over to be warrantied every few months, just saying.
    That is not what I wanted to read, I'm looking for that as a frame only option at the moment and knew they had chainstay / seatstay issues with their welds on their other models but was hoping the carbon would be strong as an ox. Oh well.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I pretty much changed everything out way back when I had my first frame. The seat and seat post were the first to go, did the same as you and put a Thomson seat post on. And as far as using a larger frame like Jamis has been recommending I'm 5'10" tall and have never ridden anything larger than a 19" or "large" frame. Hopefully you received one of the good frames I know there are a few out there. Like I mentioned in an earlier post I know someone who has the pro model and his is still going strong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I should probably explain it a little better, the outside of the carbon fiber frame appears to be pulling away from the carbon tube that the seat post sits in. Maybe the carbon wasn't glued well enough during the lay up process, just guessing at it though. I noticed from day one the seat post would always slip a little during my rides and I wouldn't adjust it until I could get home and use a torque wrench on it because I was warned from the time I got it not to over torque it or I could snap the carbon collar off it. I don't blame you for being a little hesitant about buying one but it definitely is one of the best riding and handling bikes I've owned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan1nine View Post
    I should probably explain it a little better, the outside of the carbon fiber frame appears to be pulling away from the carbon tube that the seat post sits in. Maybe the carbon wasn't glued well enough during the lay up process, just guessing at it though. I noticed from day one the seat post would always slip a little during my rides and I wouldn't adjust it until I could get home and use a torque wrench on it because I was warned from the time I got it not to over torque it or I could snap the carbon collar off it. I don't blame you for being a little hesitant about buying one but it definitely is one of the best riding and handling bikes I've owned.
    Can you post pics? I too am getting the carbon frame as a replacement for the same crack in my 2014 Comp frame, a little concerned that I should have held out for an AMT frame which was not in stock right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast