mtbr member

2012 Komodo for AM use?

So I'm in the market to buy an all mountain hardtail. In another forum someone recommended at Komodo, and after doing some research it sounds like it would be a good match for my riding style. The type of trails I ride are some pretty gonzo rock gardens, some slickrock, short steep rock/root infested downhills, short techy climbs, some longer ones where I don't mind hiking a little bit, log rides, some wooden man made features, and some twisty singletrack. I also like trying to get up and over some decent sized rocks. What do the other members of the Jamis crowd think? I know it weighs 33 pounds, but it would be lighter than a lot of the AM full suspensions out there. And at 800 bucks out the door after taxes it seems like a good deal. Any help would be much appreciated, I don't have a lot of money so for under $1000 is my price range, I can always upgrade components after they break. Thanks for any imput!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have an 08 K2 and it has taken EVERYTHING I've thrown at it. Fire roads, single track, root/rocky ascents/descents, some light downhill, and even some park (felt large) .

Ride gets a little bumpy at times but I always feel in control.

How tall are you? I'm 5'9" and ride a 16.5

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks, I've been riding a hardtail my whole life but a low end one and stuff keeps breaking on it. So I'm fine with it getting bumpy, I feel more connected to what I'm riding with a hardtail. I am 5'9 also and I was thinking about getting the 16.5. The bike I ride now is a medium so it should be about the same. How's the bb height with pulling yourself up and over big rocks and downed trees?

banned
    Nov 2011
    I have the '10 Komodo and it does just fine on the trails, DH, FR, DJ's, & street. I love it man, but of course it will be a bit rougher in the rock gardens compared to a FS, but since you been riding HT all your life, then that should not be an issue.

I vouch for the Komodo's strength & durability, as I put mine through hell and back and it stays strong and ready for some more abuse. I even huck mine off bigger drops and it still handles very well for all the discipline riding I do. I say go for it, you can't go wrong....

I also have several local friends that shred on the '08, '09 & '11 Komodo's, thus the reason I pulled the trigger. Just make sure you get the right frame size though.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drj85 View Post
    Awesome thanks, I've been riding a hardtail my whole life but a low end one and stuff keeps breaking on it. So I'm fine with it getting bumpy, I feel more connected to what I'm riding with a hardtail. I am 5'9 also and I was thinking about getting the 16.5. The bike I ride now is a medium so it should be about the same. How's the bb height with pulling yourself up and over big rocks and downed trees?
    OK, I just saw this in bold, so yeah man, you are getting the right size frame. I ride a 16.5 and i am 6', and it feels awesome, but of course i like the medium frames so i can flick them around a bit more....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been riding my Parker on my local tech loop alot lately and I've found that it's slowing me down considerably. I tend to aim for that granny gear on alot of climbs where I'd be in the middle ring on my Komodo. I'm going to lay the Parker to rest for a while and get back into riding my Komodo b/c I got my azz handed to me by a couple dudes yesterday. I'm not blaming the bike, but riding a tank like the Parker sorta just takes the spirit right out of you and you end up trying to pick a comfortable gear and spin versus getting on the gas.

As far as durability...I've taken my '05 Komodo off some pretty good size stuff and it's holding up really well. The geometry is very versatile. Good for XC loops when you're bored. Good for gnarly loops if you can't afford a decent dually.

I've always preached the Komodo.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    I think this is the bike for me, I just wish my lbs had one in stock so I could test ride it. I screwed around on my buddies new Stumpjumper today which weighs 27 pounds and it just felt soo light, I really don't think ill mind the 33 pounds of Komodo. And yea thers no way I'm affording a decent full suspension anytime soon, so Komodo it is

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If I had "take-backs" knowing what I know now...I'd probably have gone with an XCT or 650b dually. There is a small amt. of FR terrain around here, but I watched some very skilled riders this week ride waist-high drops to basically flat on Stumpy 29'er w/o even dropping saddles. I watched them horse their way up shoulder-high boulders that are 50-60deg angle with a log at the bottom to help them up it...on lightweight 29'ers. 90% rider / 10% bike. I've never seen guys do stuff like that with Roval carbon wheels and EC90 flat bars, LOL. I'd be destroying that carbon crap.

These guys are pretty phenom. riders though.

My Parker slows me down in that it's a freakin' pig on the climbs and encourages me to spin uphill slowly.

My Komodo slows me down because most of my local trail is really daggum rough with rocks and crap. (I've moved to a new region within the last yr BTW) I can't sit and spin out nearly as much, so I have to stand most of the time. I also have to run higher rear tire psi so I don't pinch out. I built an 8-10' boulder drop that I roll-in on. One day, my tires didn't hold on the roll-in and I hit the bottom hard. I blew out the sidewall on my tire. I love the new region, but I need to up the ante on the rubber I'm using now.

I was able to run 35psi at my old local trail, but now I run a min of 40psi. It's really rocky here. In a perfect world, I'd be on a 650b with a dropper post built around 27-28lbs.

That said...the Komodo is still faster overall than my Parker if I stand. If I get tired and start sitting alot...the Parker will win out on on the flats and DH sections. The Komodo is built to withstand anything that my local trail has to offer if I ever decide to hit it all. I would benefit from a gravity dropper b/c there's quite a bit of pedaly sections connecting boulder drops and hops. The best thing I can think to do at the moment would be to rebuild my rear wheel with an 823 UST rim, run a UST tire with a little Stan's, and drop my psi back down to 35'ish to help smooth out the chop. It's amazing what a few psi will do to gain control over a rough trail. I can keep my front tire at around 38psi running a tube with my EX5.1d b/c my PIKE softens the blow of all that chunky rock.

As I usually tell my peeps...if you can't afford a nice dually, snag the Komodo. It's plenty tough enough to handle rough trails. You will work a little harder maintaining traction on choppy climbs, choppy pedaly sections...but it will get you there. Don't expect to hang with a Natl Champion level rider on a 25lb carbon 5" 29'er though, LOL.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drj85 View Post
    How's the bb height with pulling yourself up and over big rocks and downed trees?
    BB height 13.46