mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2012 Dakar XCT build

I have a much-loved 2009 Dakar XCT 1.0 that I sadly discovered a huge crack in a week ago on a long climb. The weld between the top tube and seat tube is separating. I am working through the warranty process now with Jenson (where I bought it) and have been told that it looks like I'll be getting a new 2012 frame.

Does anyone have experience with the "MP3" suspension from '09/'10 and the re-designed "MP4" suspension that Jamis is using now? Improvement? Noticeable differences with how the bike handles? Like I said, I love my '09, but am hopeful that the '12 will be even better, assuming it holds together for more than a year. Here are links to both bikes
    2009 JAMIS BICYCLES - DAKAR XCT 1
    2012 JAMIS BICYCLES - DAKAR XCT COMP

I'm also struggling with how to complete the build assuming I get a '12 frame. My '09 has a 1 1/8" head tube, and the new one has a tapered head tube. Jenson suggested that the frame will likely come with some kind of headset adapter, and I'm hopeful I can keep running my current fork. I'd love an upgrade, but don't' have the cash to throw down, and the Tora 302 is actually a lot nicer than I thought it would be. Anyone running a 1 1/8" fork in a tapered head tube?

The '12 frame also uses a 12mm thru-axle on the rear end, and while this is a great idea, I won't be able to run my current rear wheel without replacing the hub, etc. Has anyone else dealt with this issue on a Jamis/Jenson warranty? Again, a new wheel or wheelset would be sweet, but I was not planning laying down the cash on an upgrade.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tough and affordable 12mm rear wheel?

Sorry for the multi-topic post. I've been going crazy without a bike to ride and want to get back out there as soon as I possibly can. If I do need to upgrade fork and/or wheels, I want to have it in process so I don't have to wait once the frame arrives.

mtbr member
    Depending on what kind of hub you have, there are axle adapter kits available.. I had to get one for my front hub because my new bike(2011 Trance X2 which I pick up this Wed. and am soooo stoked on!!) comes with a 15mm Thru axle on the front... Didnt want to ditch my CK's on Stan's so I ordered a conversion axle. Check into that.

mtbr member
    Probably not... Check the nub manufacturers website or give em a call and see if they can help... If I cant find my answer on the interweb... I pick up the phone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks. The rear is a formula hub, not sure of the model. I've done a bit of googling and don't see a readily available kit. I assume another make's kit (Hope, etc.) wouldn't work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    Probably not... Check the nub manufacturers website or give em a call and see if they can help... If I cant find my answer on the interweb... I pick up the phone.
    So old-fashioned, yet so simple! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    OK, so pending the hub conversion question, anyone have feedback on the new Dakar XCT?

Would still love input on a good affordable 12x135 rear wheel if the hub turns out to be non-convertible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I cracked my 09 in the same spot and got an '11 as a replacement. They should provide a headset adapter. As far as the rear wheel goes, they gave me a frame with a modded rear dropout so that it would still fit a standard rear. Not sure what they're doing now though.

As far as the frame differences. I like the feel of the new design better. I feel like it has a bit more pedal bob when standing and mashing, but I think it has a much better feel to it overall. I think it's a lot better over choppy stuff, and square edge rocks and roots.

The one thing that I don't like about it, though it is trivial, is how skinny the top tube is. It's a nut cracker.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got word from Jenson that the XCTs are back-ordered, with no definite date for arrival. Argh. At the beginning of the short riding season, no less. The rear end is also thru axle.

T174M, how long did it take you to get your replacement frame on warranty?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They had them available when I got mine. I called them Monday night, and had a frame at the shop on Wednesday.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the thru axle rear opposed to the standard qr.

That sucks about the "no definite date for arrival though". I'd go nuts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, I'm going a little nuts. I don't feel like crying and complaining is going to get me my bike any faster, but that's all I can think of that I can do.

At this point, I'm seriously considering trying to buy a used bike, and then selling the new frame when it arrives to re-coup some or all of the costs. I've been a loyal Jamis guy since my first "real" mountain bike in '95 (a sweet flame-orange Durango, with STX-RC!). This is testing that, though.

Is the new XCT worth a month of not riding? Is any bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Honestly, probably not. It's a pretty good bike, but nothing really that special. I am looking for something different towards the end of this season. Other companies have some amazing bikes coming out and I'd like to try something different as well. This is the only trail bike I have had, and definitely want to check out the other offerings.

I feel like Jamis focuses more on their hardtails and almost just puts out some of their full suspension bikes just to fill out a line. This is just my opinion though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

warranty update

So I finally got in touch with Jamis directly, and my experience with their customer service is night and day compared to Jenson. They were extremely responsive, and while they don't have any XCT frames in stock, they are sending me a XAM! I kind of wish I had bought the XAM in the first place, so I am pretty psyched. They are also sending a chainstay to allow me to run my current QR rear wheel until I upgrade to the maxle. All in all, I feel like this is a good and fair solution.

Comparing specs on the website, it looks like most of my components should be able to swap right over. However, the geometry of the XAM is set up for a 160mm fork, and mine is a 130mm. I'm planning to run it until I can afford an upgrade, and it will be interesting to see if and how the ride is affected by the "too small" fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I had a 2007 XCR expert that had a crack in the down tube. Jamis replaced it with a 2011 race frame that ended up with another crack. That was replaced with a 2012 xcr race frame. The interesting thing is that mine has a brace between the seat post and the top tube...nice (like the BAM) The pictures on the website do not show this brace. It's a race frame but it looks a little more like a trail frame. I asked Jamis about it but got no reply. Any thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Jamis is clearly working through frame integrity issues that are now (hopefully) largely behind them. I am no expert on frames, and especially race ones, but I would welcome any additional reinforcements that make the frame stiffer and tougher. Of course, there is probably a weight penalty, but a super light bike isn't too good if it's cracked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    yea, I like all the changes from my original '07 model. The seat post brace is was a good move. Probably minimal weight added but a lot more strength! I wonder if they added this after the website catalog was up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maybe you got a pre-production 2013? Do you have a picture you could post?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsjazz View Post
    I had a 2007 XCR expert that had a crack in the down tube. Jamis replaced it with a 2011 race frame that ended up with another crack. That was replaced with a 2012 xcr race frame. The interesting thing is that mine has a brace between the seat post and the top tube...nice (like the BAM) The pictures on the website do not show this brace. It's a race frame but it looks a little more like a trail frame. I asked Jamis about it but got no reply. Any thoughts on this?

If your frame is a size 19 or 21 then there is an extra brace on the frame's top tube. The photos in the catalog and website are all 17s
    "Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    mystery solved...it's a 19" frame. I'm glad I have the brace!