mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2012 D29 Pro bb?

I am shopping for a h/t 29r and i'm almost settled on the D29 Pro. My question is regarding the bottom bracket. It is listed as a PF30 bb, and I'm familiar (only after much research) with that setup and how it differs from the bb30 and bb92, etc. The issue is that this bike comes equipped with a Shimano SLX 3x10 crank, which is only available in the standard size (either standard outboard bb or bb92 compatible). It is my understanding that Shimano only makes one crank spindle size. Since the pf30 uses a different spindle diameter and length than the standards, are they stocking this full carbon bike with some type of problem sovers adapter? I cannot find the info on their site.

The reason I'm asking is because that is the one component I would want to upgrade right away - I would want to swap it to a 2x10 crank and I'm not sure if I would need a pf30 crank or if I could interchange it with a standard shimano crank?
    P=DAL, P=DAL, P=DAL!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok, I think I have part of the answer now. A Jamis dealer just told me he is almost certain that it is equipped with an adapter. But still uncertain if it is an adapter type bb, or if it is the regular pf30 bb with a separate adapter?
    P=DAL, P=DAL, P=DAL!

mountainfreak
    Aug 2009
    Hi twobournes... sorry for the slow response on here. That bike is equipped with a standard PF30 bottom bracket. We use Wheels Manufacturing adapters for bikes spec'd with Shimano cranks. An upgrade to a 2x10 crankset would be super simple. You can swap with any Shimano crank or simply pop off the adapters to use a PF30/BB30 crankset from Sram or FSA.