mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2011 Jamis Trail X models

I am currently planning on buying a new Trail X1 or X2. I am not a hardcore biker in the least and rarely go off-road as I have three younger daughters with the oldest being 12 and the youngest going on 7. However, I do prefer a MTB.
    I currently ride a 1996 Jamis Aurora MTB I bought new in '97 before it went to a road bike. That bike has some pretty high end components on it compared to this new Jamis as well as it has a steel frame.
    A few questions- I was quoted $335 for the 2011 X1 and probably the same $40 off msrp for the X2. The X2 adds double lined rims, Acera rear derailer, knobbie tires, disc brakes. Is it worth the extra $85 to go with the X2 or do I really need all of the added features? The X1 comes with a tourney rear derailer which is on both my kids' bikes- a 20" Raleigh Rowdy and a 24" Trek 220 Mountain Track. They work well but the Acera seems a bit higher end.
    So basically, should I go with the cheaper X1 or upgrade to the X2 in case I need the added features later on?
    Also, does anyone have one of these new Trail X's with the new frame? Seems like there is no information out there on them besides the stock Jamis stuff. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    lots of views, not one reply. seems as if the cat's got the Jamis folk's tongues. nevermind, I've decided to go with the X1 as the pearl white is just downright sweet and the differences between the wheels, derailer and brakes are negligent for my uses. remind me not to come back on here asking advice as this section is evidently filled with viewers only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    how did the bike work out for you? I am thinking about getting one cheap through my employer($200) and do about 5-10 miles of trail riding each week. Right now I have a GT agressor that is over 10 years old that needs a tune up(it is getting kind of beat up). Any thoughts?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I actually did NOT get a new Jamis. I decided to wait and buy an older Cannondale H400 hybrid. I put some Continental Town & Country tires on my '96 Jamis Aurora MTB until I can locate one of these old made in the USA Cannondales. I have come to the conclusion that the new Jamis bikes suck compared to the old ones like mine. I just bought my daughter a new Specialized Myka womens MTB and I would have to say the attention to detail is superb and I would have to buy a new Specialized if I were buying myself a new bike. The Jamis line is just too small and has little selection. The X1 Trail has nothing over a top of the line Target or Wal-Mart bike when you look at them both- cheap components all around. I'm sure it's better but the whole line just looks cheap. But for $200, I don't think you could go wrong. The rear derailer is the same one as is on my 9-year old's Raleigh Rowdy 20" mtb. Don't get me wrong, the Jamis bikes in the upper scales like the Dragon 29ers and such are sweet but are overpriced. good luck.

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    A bit harsh, aren't you? Jamis is not the most well known bike brand, and it does not have that many members. You can't just post a question expecting replies, and criticizing the forum?

By the way, Jamis does have a few avantages over target/walmart bikes.
    1. Warranty
    2. Customer service
    3. They actually PLAN their bike's geo/components vs wally world just slaps them on
    4. Careful attention to detail
    5. Upgrade options

Whew, getting a little defensive there...

mtbr member
    I have to say that everything I've been told about Jamis is they provide outstanding value, as in excellent price/performance ratio. It just seems to be their reputation through and through.

Having said that, you can't except much from a $300-$500 mountain bike. The x1 is totally entry level, it is what it is. They have an extensive line of mountain bikes for every budget.

I bought a 2011 x2 to get back into biking this year. At $440 it was a bargain. My next one will be $1000+. And it'll be a significant upgrade from the x2. My recommendation would have been the x2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tbunder View Post
    Don't get me wrong, the Jamis bikes in the upper scales like the Dragon 29ers and such are sweet but are overpriced. good luck.
    How do you claim they are overpriced when dollar-for-dollar they have better components then Trek/Giant/Specialized/etc. bikes at the same level every time?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    jamis bikes are good bikes, but as far as selection goes specialized and trek kills them. jamis has no dedicated female line. their "good" bikes are over a grand. and if you want a bike from them, chances are you can't ride it before you even see it in person because dealers are too scared to stock up cuz no one buys them. I don't buy into the dollar-for-dollar claim- the entry level specialized hard rock is head and shoulders above the jamis trail x1 for essentially the same price. I might add that the hardrock comes with double walled rims and a freehub vs the jamis' single wall rims and freewheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

X2 or X3?

I am also leaning to purchase a Jamis Trail bike but still undecided between X2 and x3. Is the $75+ difference worth the upgrade for X3 (specs compared to X2)? Both models are currently on sale until the 25th of July (X2 - $399/ X3 - $475 plus a $100 GC towards purchase of bike apparels... is it a good deal?)

Your opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I think it's an excellent deal! My motto when buying anything is usually to buy the most expensive one you can afford. Something you can at least grow into for a while before needing to upgrade.

My opinion is if you are mostly on smooth and/or paved trails, the x2 is fine. The x3 is a little better but not a necessity. If you're riding real mtb trails get the x3 and it'll get you through until you know more about the kind of bike you'd want to upgrade to.

For the money, the x2 and x3 are a great place to start. I still enjoy my x2.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Really? (post to main thread, not response to above)

You are getting a new mtn bike, 1st since the 90's, looking at entry level bikes, and thinking that you know. I sell many trail x2's and they are fabulous bikes, with the same entry components found on trek or spec....and so on. Dude....it is an entry level bike. How many options do you want. Disc brakes or no disk brakes. It is not hard.
    My customeres who buy the trailX all compliment its trail riding geo and love the bike. These bikes do not come back, but the customers do. Lifetime warrenty on the frames and the bike is priced about 20% less then the well marketed brands. How can you go wrong. I think you made your choice in haste.

I was going to offer my thoughts on your original post, then read on and was taken back at your anger towards Jamis and your comparison to walmart.

I am an authorized dealer of jamis, selling their full line. I love the bikes, the quality, the price, and the support I get from them.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Really?

You are getting a new mtn bike, 1st since the 90's, looking at entry level bikes, and thinking that you know. I sell many trail x2's and they are fabulous bikes, with the same entry components found on trek or spec....and so on. Dude....it is an entry level bike. How many options do you want. Disc brakes or no disk brakes. It is not hard.
    My customeres who buy the trailX all compliment its trail riding geo and love the bike. These bikes do not come back, but the customers do. Lifetime warrenty on the frames and the bike is priced about 20% less then the well marketed brands. How can you go wrong. I think you made your choice in haste.

I was going to offer my thoughts on your original post, then read on and was taken back at your anger towards Jamis and your comparison to walmart.

I am an authorized dealer of jamis, selling their full line. I love the bikes, the quality, the price, and the support I get from them.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    post to main thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbunder View Post
    jamis bikes are good bikes, but as far as selection goes specialized and trek kills them. jamis has no dedicated female line. their "good" bikes are over a grand. and if you want a bike from them, chances are you can't ride it before you even see it in person because dealers are too scared to stock up cuz no one buys them. I don't buy into the dollar-for-dollar claim- the entry level specialized hard rock is head and shoulders above the jamis trail x1 for essentially the same price. I might add that the hardrock comes with double walled rims and a freehub vs the jamis' single wall rims and freewheel.

I might have bought a Specialized but have a Jamis dealer a mile from home. We could go round and round about pieces and parts but in my opinion, a $400 bike is just a $400 bike. Its meant to be cheap and entry level. And to get into serious off road mountain biking you'll have to uprade and spend $1000 or so to get something decent.

Being a Jamis owner, I don't necessarily think they are the greatest but at $440 for an 2011 X2, there is no doubt I got an excellent bike for the money. It does what I bought it to do. If I'd had a specialized dealer down the street I might have bought the Hardrock Disc, but it appears to run about $150 more than the X2. And, at the time, I was looking for something $450 or less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by audiodrive View Post
    I am also leaning to purchase a Jamis Trail bike but still undecided between X2 and x3. Is the $75+ difference worth the upgrade for X3 (specs compared to X2)? Both models are currently on sale until the 25th of July (X2 - $399/ X3 - $475 plus a $100 GC towards purchase of bike apparels... is it a good deal?)

Your opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks.
    That's a very good deal for a X3. That $75 gets you a fork with more travel and a better rear derailleur. To me it's well worth it.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    FWIW i have an 09 X2 and i love it so far...only issue for me is that the fork is a bit stiff and non adjustable other then that i love it
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Wink Choice of Jamis Trail Series

I am going back into mtn/trail/street biking after long (10yr) layoff, now retired. I plan to consider the 1x,2x, or 3x. Leaning toward the TrailX3. Any feedback on Jamis or the 3x

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snelks36 View Post
    I am going back into mtn/trail/street biking after long (10yr) layoff, now retired. I plan to consider the 1x,2x, or 3x. Leaning toward the TrailX3. Any feedback on Jamis or the 3x
    Jamis makes very nice bikes with a reputation for good value for the money. That value though is much greater as you move up the line. Most entry level hardtails use lower end components. Make sure you try a bunch of different models and look to buy the one that fits you the best.
    He who dares....wins!