Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2011 Jamis Dragon 29 Race / pic

2011 Dragon 29 Race

New for 2011:
    Can't mess much with a classic
    Blood Red/Gloss White (classic Dragon paint scheme)
    Rock Shox Reba RLT 29
    American Classic MTB 29 Wheels with Red annodized hubs
    SRAM X9 2X10 drive train/shifters
    FSA Comet Compact Crank
    Avid Elixir 3 brakes 185mm rotor front / 160mm rotor rear.(185mm rotor not in pic)

Dragon 29 Sport

New model for 2011!!

Reynolds 530 DB
    Rock Shox Tora TK w/lock out
    SRAM X7 drivetrain/shifters 3x9
    SRAM S800 3x9crank (Forged AL-6066 is 30% stronger than AL-6061!)
    SRAM PG-950 9-speed cassette 11t-34t
    Avid Juicy 3 brakes 185mm rotor front / 160mm rotor rear.(185mm rotor not in pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Jamis Dragon 29 Race / pic-11_dragon29race.jpeg  

2011 Jamis Dragon 29 Race / pic-11_dragon29sport.jpeg  

mtbr member

2011 Jamis Dragon

Both of these look really nice and it is great to have a more affordable Dragon 29er. Do you have a ballpark idea of the weight difference between the two? Is the high and low gearing on the 2X10 similar to the 3X9?

I thought I'd attach a photo of my first MTB that I still ride on occasion. I couldn't afford it at the time but the dealer was a buddy that financed it for me at 0% interest. I'm still glad I bought it and it was a great investment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Jamis Dragon 29 Race / pic-dakar-sport-1988.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

1988 Dakar Sport

Wow!! Sweet Dakar Sport!
    Regarding the weight between the Dragon 29 Race and Dragon 29 Sport, we did not weigh the 2011 bikes yet. We'll get to that in the coming weeks and list it in the consumer catalog and web site under the "specifications" link for each bike.

The 2010 Dragon 29 weighs 26.25 lbs so I would think the 2011 is around the same weight and the sport is most likely a couple pounds heavier.
    Best, Rob

mtbr member

2011 Dragon

Thank you, Rob. I'll probably order one of these two bikes when they become available. I was thinking about the 2010 Dakota Race but after reading about 29ers I'm thinking about going with big wheels. The double crank on the Race is throwing me at the moment. I might have to test ride a double to get a feel for my ability to climb with that setup. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and the Sport would probably be good since I'm not racing anyway.I appreciate the info!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    captain_adventure,
    the 2x10 concept offers a very wide range of ratios. I have ridden SRAM's XO 2x10 and Shimano's Deore XT Dyna-Sys 3x10 and rest assured the 2x10 set ups have a low enough gear ratio (27T front chain ring x 36t rear cog) to ride up any steep ascent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    2011 Dragon 29 Race and 2011 Dragon 29 Sport Pricing

Dragon 29 Race msrp $2800

Dragon 29 Sport msrp $1100

mtbr member
    Thank you, Rob. Good info.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any chance of a frame only?
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Dragon 29 Race Frame

We will be offering the Dragon 29 Race as a frame kit as well as a Dragon One single speed version.
    Pricing will be released next week at Interbike. Give a shout out to your local Jamis dealer for pricing info later next week.
    Best, Rob

mtbr member

2011 specs?

THe NOV 2010 BIKE mag shows the 2011 Jamis Dragon spec'd out w Shimano Dyna-Syn 3x10 drivetrain and a Fox F32 100 shock... yet, the website shows the SRAM/Rockshox kit which to me (personal preference) is a step down.. especially on the shock... WHy the switch.. DId BIKE have it wrong?

mtbr member
    Hey, schneidw...........You are talking about the 2011 Dragon Pro. That is a 26 incher. The Dragon 29 Race and Sport are both SRAM/Rockshox.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My new Dragon waiting for the snow to melt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Jamis Dragon 29 Race / pic-dragon-29-race.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMailmanismydad
    Looks awesome!
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theMailmanismydad
    Beautiful bike! Just bought a brand new 2011 Sport this weekend. Wish I had the money to buy your model but the sport will do me fine and I can't wait till the trails dry up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    Beautiful bike! Just bought a brand new 2011 Sport this weekend. Wish I had the money to buy your model but the sport will do me fine and I can't wait till the trails dry up!

Yeah, it was hard for me to drop that kind of coin on a bike, but I'm glad I did.Was able to take it out on some trails between snow melt and early spring rains and it was very nice. The quality of the ride was so much better than my previous ride. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    How do you like the sport? I currently am riding a FS 26" bike but am thinking of getting a steel 29er HT. I'd probably swap it to a 1X9 and run a 12-36 9 speed cassette. How does the tora fork perfom?? I'm used to my fox air sprung fork and am not familiar with coil forks. I'd consider swapping out the fork to something lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    How do you like the sport? I currently am riding a FS 26" bike but am thinking of getting a steel 29er HT. I'd probably swap it to a 1X9 and run a 12-36 9 speed cassette. How does the tora fork perfom?? I'm used to my fox air sprung fork and am not familiar with coil forks. I'd consider swapping out the fork to something lighter.
    I haven't put much time in at all, all I can say is my initial ride was very comfortable and fast. The bike feels very quick. Hoping the trails dry up soon here in Pittsburgh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How does the lock out on the Tora fork work? Is it useful or do you just leave the fork open most of the time?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Water bottle mount

I just acquired a Jamis Dragon 29er and find the WB mounts are too low on the seat tube. When I tried to put a normal cage on to the frame it actually was below the down tube.

Anyone have this problem and is there a cage you reccomend?

Thanks. Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by katematt
    I just acquired a Jamis Dragon 29er and find the WB mounts are too low on the seat tube. When I tried to put a normal cage on to the frame it actually was below the down tube.

Anyone have this problem and is there a cage you reccomend?

Thanks. Tom

What size frame do you have ?
    "Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rvanderveur
    captain_adventure,
    the 2x10 concept offers a very wide range of ratios. I have ridden SRAM's XO 2x10 and Shimano's Deore XT Dyna-Sys 3x10 and rest assured the 2x10 set ups have a low enough gear ratio (27T front chain ring x 36t rear cog) to ride up any steep ascent.
    Seriously? The 26/39 SRAM stuff is not low enough...27 and 36 do not add up to a gear for any steep ascent.

Specialized got that part right with the 24T granny double crank.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

19 in

It is a 19 inch or a large. 24 TT

Thanks.

mtbr member
    How much rear tire clearance do these frames have?
    If you can't ride the trail's with the BIG DOG'S, stay on the ROAD with the poodles!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a 09 and it came with kenda karmas 2.2 and there is about a 1/4 of and inch clearance side to side at the chain stay

mtbr member
    I'm curious why the sport has the relatively small headtube gusset where race has the larger monoque piece. Kind of looks like the sport's design might undermine overall frame durability or stiffness at least (junction, corrected for the 29er, seems like it could use the larger monoque design). I actually have a sport on order so I guess we'll see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast