mtbr member
    Feb 2011

2009 XCT 1.0 RS Bar 2.1 REAR SHOCK

I'm looking at buying a frame from Jenson and can't find what length the rear shock is, I would like a rear shock with lock out. I believe that the 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are all the same length. If anyone has upgraded their stock shock, please let me know with what and how you like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Its a 2.875 x 2, but I would ride the bike first to see if you even need to upgrade it. I've got the Fox Float R with just rebound adjust and I don't have any pedal bob issues. I wanted to get the RP23 at first but now I don't see a point in spending that money.

Here's a link to Jamis' website with specs on your frame:

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/tech/image..._techsheet.pdf
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi there,

I have an XCR that came with the Bar 2.1. It wasn't bad when tuned correctly, however to control pedal bob I had to run it with high air pressure, which caused me to lose small bump comfort.

At lower air pressure it was pretty plush but gave me more peddle bob than I liked. I found, in order to get maximum performance out of the shock, you have to constantly adjust air pressure to the type of riding you're going to be doing. If I'm doing a lot of climbing, increase pressure, a lot of flat or downhill, decrease pressure.

I would ride the heck out of the Bar, blow it or wear it out, then upgrade to a higher end RS or Fox. It really isn't a bad starter shock, and it will teach you how to master shock tuning by only relying on rebound and shock pressure. It's always nice to have a spare shock in the future.

I have since acquired a used RS Monarch 3.3 on ebay which I had rebuilt at the the LBS. After one test ride there is a huge different in the plushness of the shock, yet the improved damper keeps everything in control. It's hard to explain, but the higher quality damper (combined with a platform), really allows the shock to better control the movement of the rear triangle and ultimately the handling of the bike. The bike bobs significantly less while peddling, yet small bump and bigger hit performance is drastically improved. I'm still experimenting with all the different tuning options the Monarch 3.3 offers and will report back later as I get better at it.