Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

The 2009 Jamis XCT 2 build thread with weights

I've had my XCT 2 now about three weeks and have put about 60 hard miles on it at Bootleg Canyon, NV. In that time I've done some upgrades and I have some more plans for it in the future. My main goals are to improve the handling and braking of this bike while reducing its weight without breaking the bank.

First off, I'd like to just start a list of the factory components and their weights:

Frame:
    With Fox Float R Shock (17") -

Forks:
    Marzocchi 44 ATA TST2 w/15mm skewer (195mm steer tube) - 2176g

Wheels:
    Mavic XM117 w/Formula Hub 15mm w/Avid rotor, no skewer (front) - 1001g, 879g no rotor
    Mavic XM 117 w/Shimano M475 Hub w/Avid rotor and skewer, no cassette (rear) - 1323g, 1201 no rotor

Tubes:
    Kenda factory tubes - 210g

Tires:
    Kenda Nevegal 26 x 2.35 wire bead tires - 1190g each

Cassette:
    Sram PG 950 9 sp cassette w/lockring - 449g

Brakes:
    Avid Juicy 3 front brakes no rotor - 266g
    Avid Juicy 3 rear brakes no rotor - 278g
    Avid rotor - 109g + 13g for screws

Chain:
    SRAM PowerChain 971 -

Crankset:
    Shimano M521 Hollowtech -

Bottom Bracket:
    Shimano ES25 Octalink V2 -

Derailleurs:
    Shimano Deore XT Shadow rear (long) -
    Shimano Deore 34.9 top pull front -

Handlebars:
    Ritchey Mountain Comp Rizer, 31.8, 20mm rise, 670mm width - 396g

Stem:
    Ritchey - 180g

Seat Post:
    Ritchey Comp, 31.6 x 350mm length - 291g

Seat collar:
    Alloy with no QR - 35g

Seat:
    WTB Rocket V Comp with SL top - 312g
    Last edited by Quicksilver77; 12-17-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looking at the weights above, there's plenty of places where weight can be cut from the XCT 2.

The first place I started was with those heavy wire bead tires. At 1190g each, over 2 lbs could be saved just by going to a folding bead tire. For the front I went with a 26 x 2.35 Nevegal DTC 120 TPI folding bead at 698g. The rear got a 26 x 2.1 Nevegal DTC 120 TPI at 609g. The weight reduced comes in at 1073g, or 37.7oz, or 2.36lbs. The new tires with shipping ran $78 and I sold the original tires for $40. So for $38 I cut 2.35lbs off. Not bad.

Next up was some lighter weight tubes. I went with Continental Light tubes at 166g each. The original Kendas were 210g so weight savings is 88g, or 3.1oz. Thats not a lot of weight, but small cuts everywhere eventually add up.

The factory Mavic XM117 wheels that came stock on the bike were wobbly after only two weeks. Apparently they can't take the abuse a 150 lb rider can dish out? Kinda sad if you ask me. They are light but in no way strong. Being that a set of 2011 Mavic Crossmax wheels run about $800, I settled on a set of 2010 Mavic Crossride wheels for less than $200 and might upgrade when the Crossmax's go on sale next year. The 2010 Crossrides come with the Shimano Centerlock and an adapter for using a 6 bolt disc. Assembled weight (with liners and adapters) came in at 883g for the front and 1057g for the rear (without cassette). The old wheels came in with a total weight of 2080g and the new set weighs 1940g for a savings of 140g or 4.91oz.

Next up was the cassette. I scored a Shimano M970 on ebay for just over $100. Weight: 244g with lockring. Old SRAM PG950 weighed 449g so I lost 205g, or 7.17 oz. Yes, its an expensive cassette but the XT had some bad reviews.

The last thing I've done so far was to change out the Avid Juicy 3 brakes to a set of Hayes Stroker Carbon V6. I was really unhappy with the stock Avid's performance. The rear was noisy and they felt like they were either on or off. The original Hayes on my 2002 are still working great and I love their feel, so I'll give Hayes a try on this bike. Total weight on the Hayes Stroker Carbons with rotors was only 2g less than the Juicy 3's, so there is really no weight savings there. But the Hayes do have an easy to use lever adjustment on their carbon fiber levers the Juicy's didn't have. I haven't taken the bike out on the trails due to the weather so I can't comment on their performance yet. i will give an update once I get it out.

So far I've cut 1508g or 3.32lbs. Future plans will be lighter Titec Hellbent CF handlebars at 190g, Fox Float Fit RLC 140mm forks at 3.8 lbs and a pair of Wellgo MG-1 ti pedals at 284g.

EDIT: I just weighed the bike and it is now 28.89 lbs minus pedals. It looks like 27 lbs isn't too far off now.
    Last edited by Quicksilver77; 12-17-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    09 Jamis XCT2 Marzocchi RC3 ti forks, XT/XTR drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides/ Kenda Nevegal DTC=29lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    All this in 3 weeks? Man I wish I had your time and funds

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcverry
    All this in 3 weeks? Man I wish I had your time and funds

Enjoy!
    LOL I wish I had more funds.

This will do for now as I really like the handling of this bike and would still take this over a Pivot any day.

Here are some pics of the progress so far...

This new cassette is light :

New Stroker Carbons:

Cateye Micro mounted up:

Pic of the rear with cassette and brakes mounted:

Full pic of bike with all new parts on, including Mavic Crossrides:

I am now looking at the Ritchey Pro Carbon Riser bars and am not sure whether to get the Fox Float Fit RLC or Talas RLC forks. I'm also debating if its worth upgrading the rear shock from the Float R to a RP 23 XV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I love seeing 2 Jamis's in the pictures! Great job!

Anyways, how does the new cassette affect your shifting performance? I have an HG50 (deore level cassette) and am thinking of upgrading to the XT (if I can find the older ones with less problem) and am hoping to gain more crisp shifts out of my LX level derailleur and deore shifters.

Like most dedicated mountain bikers, I am willing to risk not paying rent in order to upgrade the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've just ridden it around the neighborhood with the new cassette but so far it shifts just fine. I went with the XTR because of the bad reviews on the XT and hopefully I won't regret my decision. I got mine off ebay for just over $100 so there are deals out there on higher end components. I never would have paid the original $279 MSRP these things sold for new. I've also been selling the parts I take off so I'm getting some of my money back.

Oh yeah, my old Jamis Dakar Comp in the background is my new road bike. It only needs a new bottom bracket and it'll be good to go again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got new forks on the way!

I really miss the smoothness of the coil-sprung Manitous that are on my old bike, so instead of the Fox forks I originally wanted I bought 2010 Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti forks. They are a little heavier than the Fox forks but they are an open bath design with a titanium spring that should be more reliable and smoother than an all air setup. The weight should be around 4.25 lbs so I will still be shaving about half a pound over what I have now. The 55 and 66 RC3's got really good reviews and the 44 RC3 reviews weren't too bad. I'll be writing a review once i get some time in with the new forks mounted up.

Some info about these forks:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/li...DOggetto=58587

SPECS:
    - 140mm Travel
    - RC3 (Air Preload, Hi/Lo Compression, Rebound)
    - Titanium Spring
    - Alloy XC Steer Tube and Crown
    - 32mm Nickel Coated Alloy Tapered Stanchions
    - New fitted and slotted bushing
    - 6” Post Mount (Max Disc 8”)
    - 15mm quick release axle
    Stroke Fork length Steer tube-wheel offset Weight
    140 514 mm. 44 mm. 1927 g.

Last edited by Quicksilver77; 12-28-2010 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I installed the forks a week ago and have put a little over 30 miles on them. They are well worth the $420 I spent on them (leftover 2010 model on ebay). The ride is softer, I'm not worried about blowing these out, and I cut 7.89 oz more off the bike. Oh yeah, I got a new SRAM Powerchain with hollow links coming.

Here's a pic of how she looks now:

Next up should be some new handlebars. Any recommendations on these and whether to go carbon fiber?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The new SRAM PC 991 chain is on.

The original chain went onto my old Jamis as did the forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would look at your crankset next. I have a stylo OCT crank that weights 805 with BB. not bad. You could shed some weight there. Also, price point had them cheap. not sure if they still do.
    Also for bars- answer pro tapers. The carbon 720 AMs. Also, not sure if you like short stems or not- the 50mm havoc weights 185 grams, mad light. jenson has those for 29 bucks

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00
    I would look at your crankset next. I have a stylo OCT crank that weights 805 with BB. not bad. You could shed some weight there. Also, price point had them cheap. not sure if they still do.
    Also for bars- answer pro tapers. The carbon 720 AMs. Also, not sure if you like short stems or not- the 50mm havoc weights 185 grams, mad light. jenson has those for 29 bucks
    Those cranks are light, even lighter than the Shimano XT cranks I want. I'd like to stick with an all Shimano drivetrain if I can despite the weight, except for the chain. I need to pull the factory cranks and bottom bracket and weigh them to see how much I can save.

As for the bars, I have Pro Tapers on my other bike and really like them. I'll have to give them a look. I'll probably be keeping the stock stem as its light and I'm happy with the feel of the bike now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I guess its update time. I haven't been riding much the last month due to an ankle injury but now I'm feeling good enough to ride again. So I picked up a set of Wellgo MG-1 Ti platform pedals. I rode a few miles on them today and I'm very happy with them. And they only weigh 184 grams each. Current weight on the bike is 29 lbs 8 oz with pedals, or 28 lbs 11 oz without pedals.

Last edited by Quicksilver77; 04-15-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Columbus, GA
    That's a sick bike man! I just ordered the same bike, hopefully I can use this as a guide on what to upgrade. What would you say is the best thing you've done to the bike? Tires will probably be my first upgrade since that's where a lot of weight can be saved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks. What size frame did you get? Can you weigh it before you start changing parts? I didn't have the foresight to weigh mine before I started ripping things off. I think my 17" frame bike was in the 33-34 lb range, but I'm not really sure. The weight they quote on their website must be for the tiny 13" bike.

I would say the tires were the best bang for the buck if you are looking to cut weight. I'm happy with the current Nevegal DTC folding bead tires. I bought Panaracer Fire XC's for my other bike and I hate them. I plan to order Nevegals for it today.

The other upgrade I'm happy with are the Marzocchi RC3 ti forks. They just ride so much smoother than the air forks that came with the bike and they are 1/2 lb lighter.

The only regret i have is buying the Mavic Crossride wheels. I haven't had any issues with them and they still are true, but I could have spent a little more and gotten some XT778 or Mavic Crosstrails that are a little lighter.

Here's a picture from Saturday up at Gooseberry Mesa, UT. I ditched the bottle cages now that I have my Camelbak pack. 3 more oz saved there! LOL

Oh yeah, I'm loving the Wellgo MG-1 platforms I put on before the trip. They are light and grippy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I pulled the crankset and bottom bracket out and weighed them today. I can't edit my old post so I'll just update the information here:

Frame:
    With Fox Float R Shock (17") -

Forks:
    Marzocchi 44 ATA TST2 w/15mm skewer (195mm steer tube) - 2176g

Wheels:
    Mavic XM117 w/Formula Hub 15mm w/Avid rotor, no skewer (front) - 1001g, 879g no rotor
    Mavic XM 117 w/Shimano M475 Hub w/Avid rotor and skewer, no cassette (rear) - 1323g, 1201 no rotor

Tubes:
    Kenda factory tubes - 210g

Tires:
    Kenda Nevegal 26 x 2.35 wire bead tires - 1190g each

Cassette:
    Sram PG 950 9 sp cassette w/lockring - 449g

Brakes:
    Avid Juicy 3 front brakes no rotor - 266g
    Avid Juicy 3 rear brakes no rotor - 278g
    Avid rotor - 109g + 13g for screws

Chain:
    SRAM PowerChain 971 - 298g

Crankset and ES25 Bottom bracket:
    Shimano M521 Hollowtech - Driveside w/ bolt - 523g
    Nondriveside w/ bolt- 309g
    Bottom bracket - 309g with spacer
    Total weight - 1050g

Derailleurs:
    Shimano Deore FD-M531 - 171g

Shimano Deore XT Shadow RD-M772 - 225g

Handlebars:
    Ritchey Mountain Comp Rizer, 31.8, 20mm rise, 670mm width - 396g

Stem:
    Ritchey - 180g

Seat Post:
    Ritchey Comp, 31.6 x 350mm length - 291g

Seat collar:
    Alloy with no QR - 35g

Seat:
    WTB Rocket V Comp with SL top - 312g

The Shimano 3 x 9 XT crankset weighs in at 850g. With that and a XT M771 (@ 155g) front derailleur I might be able to get to an even 29 lbs. With some carbon bars I might be able to get the weight down to 28.5 lbs, and a set of Mavic Crossmax's should get it just over 28 lbs. I think I'll be happy there and be done with this build.
    Last edited by Quicksilver77; 04-18-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Columbus, GA
    I got the 17" as well. What are you weighing all of your parts with? My brother might have a fish scale, so maybe I could weigh it with that, or just do the weight of myself and the bike on a bathroom scale minus the weight of myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a small digital scale for the small parts, and a digital fish scale I use to weigh the whole bike.

Columbus, GA
    Ok, sounds good. Do you like your chainstay protector? I need to get one, but I wasn't sure if I should get a Lizard Skin, or one from Velo, or what?
    Last edited by rcmaster1029; 04-19-2011 at 02:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got a Lizard Skin on one bike and one made by Specialized on the other bike. They both keep the chain from loudly slapping the chainstay. Well worth the $15 IMO.

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver77
    I've got a Lizard Skin on one bike and one made by Specialized on the other bike. They both keep the chain from loudly slapping the chainstay. Well worth the $15 IMO.
    What size is the Lizard Skin? There's regular, jumbo, and super jumbo and I'm not sure which one to get.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think it was the jumbo, but just to be safe you should measure the chainstay yourself to get the right fit.

Columbus, GA
    I went ahead and ordered the jumbo, I think it should be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice. You will be happy with your new bike.

My new parts came today: an XT crankset and XT front derailleur. New cranks are 853g, old ones were 1050g. The new derailleur weighed in at 160g, and the old one was 171g. The bike now weighs in at an even 29 lbs.

The original derailleur is going on my other Jamis since the old one on it is getting wobbly. I'm not sure what to do with the old cranks yet because the cranks on my other Jamis are 100g lighter than what came on the XCT.

This should be the end of my build for a while. I hope to get some good riding in this summer.
    Last edited by Quicksilver77; 04-21-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Columbus, GA
    That's a nice looking crankset. How much did it cost you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks. The crankset was $219 at jensonusa. I've seen them on ebay for around $205 but I didn't feel like waiting till next week or later to get them.

Also, jensonusa has Kenda Nevegal 26 x 2.35 DTC folding bead takeoffs for $30 each. I bought two of them for my other bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast